(???? 👀)

"Just a little but I am sure we will grow closer emperor" I smiled warmly. He rolled it back to its original form and nodded. "I'll have ...someone mail this." he said turning back to face his friends. He begins talking and laughing again, play fighting and wrestling one tall man I assumed to be his closest friend.

I knew he saw me standing there, watching curiously as he played on. He pulled away from his friend's grip before standing up to face me once more.

"Is there something you need wife?" he says, leading me away from his group of men.

"Well, I was just curious to know what my duties as empress entail? It seems as if there is nothing for me to do? Maybe I can spend the day with you and your friends?"

"No, no, there is always something the empress can do. You simply did not look hard enough" he said, pulling my arm and leading me away. He saw a petite woman in the distance and called for her. "Vanessa!" he shouted, signaling her to come over.

"Emperor Leo" she smiled, curtsying down to show her respect. She looked over at me and nodded her head in respect.

"Vanessa, take my wife to the women's quarters and do ....woman things." he grumbled, pushing me into her arms before quickly walking away to regroup with his friends.

"Come empress! I'll introduce you to the other ladies! Oh they'll love you!" she bragged, looping her arm though mine.

We walked in silence, smiling at each man that passed us. "Vanessa? Leo said your name was?"

"Yes empress" she nodded.

"What is it that I do exactly?"

"Well..." she pressed her lips together, taking a moment to think, "you entertain the ladies of the court of course. They are the wives to each man in Leonardo's court. If they are happy then their husband's are happy and if their husband's are happy..."

"Than Leo is happy! Oh brilliant!" I skipped, making sense of her words. "Oh this is just Splendid! Where are these lady of the court?" I ask her, eager to act on the new secret that would keep Leonardo's happiness.

"In the east wing, probably having tea."

"Then I will join them for tea!" I nodded, letting her take me to the room where the women were to mingle.

"The women are a bit cold to outsiders but just stick by my side empress! It is always good to have that one friend to enter by your side."

"I thank you for this Vanessa" I smile warmly, already dreaming of our future as close friends.

——

I entered into the room, timid and eager to greet each lady. They all stood to their feet as I came in, shocked at my unexpected arrival. "Empress Calla!
Empress Calla"

I walk with a little more pep in my step, nodding at each woman as I walked past them. One lady in an elegant red gown took a chair and pushed it into the middle so I could sit.

"Oh thank you!" I smiled, thanking the woman who had just passed me a cup of tea.

"Women of Genovia. I am excited to greet and meet each and every one of you. Do not look to me as Empress but as Calla, a friend and confidant. Cheers!" I lift up my glass.