44

Calla

I waited for Lizabeth to speak as she watched the rising and falling of my chest. 

No way...

It was too easy.
Had Leo really been shot?
Had my suffering truly ended?

"How? When?" I asked impatiently.

"Calla" Lizabeth stared at me, twiddling the end of her thumbs. "You know they all went on their journey to hunt at dawn. All was well but a small rabbit came and..Leo, he shot the hare. But then... he was shot.... well he was shot at... by—"

"Come on Lizabeth! Spit it out" I snapped impatiently.

"Oslo shot the emperor!" she blurted, taking a few step backs to allow me my space to react. I watched her carefully, trying to interpret the meaning of her words before taking in a small sliver of air, collapsing to my bed.

"Os-os-oslo??" I stammered, trying to reclaim my breaths.  I was surprised Oslo possessed the gusto to do it but I could not assess my feelings. Was I happy at the news? Or dismayed?

"Leo invited him to join the hunt. You know he's been on some stupid campaign to win your affection so he has been more pleasing in character and he figured to invite an old friend. Oslo saw the rabbit at the same time Leo did and—-boom" Lizabeth explained.

I was relieved when Lizabeth finished the tale but hesitant to ask the fateful question.

Was Leo still alive?

"Where was he shot?" I struggled to ask my query. I knew whatever the outcome was, my life would forever be changed.

"He was shot... well...
Oslo shot him in the....
He took the gun and shot him—"

"Where!" I pleaded, grabbing her shoulders to shake her. Why was she so hesitant to reveal the truth?

"In the ASS!"

Silence filled the span of the chilly room. The slight tilt of my head to the side was enough to signal my confusion.

"In the...ass?" I repeated, trying to stifle my smirk.
Has my hearing failed me? Did Lizabeth's words ring true?

Lizabeth pushed two palms over her lips, staring at me as I observed her carefully. My lips curled into a tight-lipped smile, the limitations of my self-control dwindling.  Both our eyes follow each other, each of us daring the other to react.

Lizabeth was the first to crack before I exploded into a fit of laughter.

Our chuckles were so brash and uncontrollable. Lizabeth snickered then stopped to regain her breath, then I took the lead until I grew tired. We may have laughed ourselves into a stupor of madness.

Lizabeth collapsed on the bed beside me, gently wiping away her tears; they were unrelenting.

"I suppose I should play the doting wife and check up on him?" I sighed, sitting up to face the door.