23

Calla

After a few more fussing and tugging from a livid Lizabeth, I was ready for the banquet. Dinner was in the main dining room so I thought it best to venture there. Maybe I could slip through the crowds before Leo noticed my absence.

"Empress"

"Empress" the people smiled, bowing their head to signal my arrival. I smiled fairly to each person, nodding my head to greet them back. As I made my way down the room, I see the soldiers of war entering the room. They came in bruised and bloody from their battle in Lison. I suppose this banquet was nothing more than Leo's lame attempt to make them feel better.

What a careless war Leo had started. Innocent men and children were dying, and for what? To fuel Leo's ego?

I looked at each man offering my gaze of appreciation. They were just trying to stand with pride and strength but I could see that their eyes were weak; tired of the pointless war Leo had summoned.

I would avenge them soon, restoring balance to Genovia once more.
I would make sure of it.

____

The dancing began but of course, Leo was nowhere to be seen. He was probably pounding into Vanessa in a nearby hallway. I walk to the back of the adjacent room: the ballroom, making sure to take in the scenery of people laughing and dancing before spying from beyond the curtain. I didn't want to be seen looking lonely. The women danced with their companions, each couple lost in their little world of bliss.

How lovely it must have felt to be held by the one you love.

"Surely the Empress cannot stand idle while everyone dances?" I hear the rich base of Donatello's voice and light up with excitement. I turn and see Donatello at the side of the stairs, slowly approaching where I stood. "It looks bad on the people if you stand here in the shadows."

"And how do you know what is good for my people Donatello?" I match his banter. He nodded and shrugged, taking note of my valid defense. We stood there in silence, letting the sound of violins and pianos take over as we watch the crowd dancing below us.

 We stood there in silence, letting the sound of violins and pianos take over as we watch the crowd dancing below us

"Well, I do know what is good for you" Donatello speaks again.

"And what is that?" I ask him curiously.

"To have fun. You do not know how to have it Calla" he shrugged.

"Once upon a time I did. But now..." my words trail off. He came closer to where I stood and extended his arm, allowing a small smile to paint his lips.

  He came closer to where I stood and extended his arm, allowing a small smile to paint his lips