Chapter 20 - "We need to talk..."

Allie’s POV:

When I arrived outside Niall’s door, I froze. What was I supposed to say once he opened the door? He was mad at me, I was sure of it...and I had no idea how to change that. This wasn’t anything like us arguing about who got to wash the plates, or me shouting at him because he never helped with any of the housework. Something like that could easily be fixed by him cuddling me and kissing me and telling me that I’m his princess. This was different, and I had no idea how to get my way round it.

I decided to text Louis, glad that we were now back to normal.

Outside Niall’s door...got cold feet...now wat?

He didn’t reply, but after a while I heard Niall’s phone ring, and a few seconds later he hung up and came to open the door. As I stared at him dumbfound, I realised that Louis must have called him and told him that I was outside. In a second I observed everything about the way he looked; his messy hair, his tired eyes, his crumpled clothes.

“Hi,” he said softly after a few seconds of us looking at each other awkwardly. I shook my head mentally, “I want us to talk. Properly.”

He nodded and moved aside to let me through. Two days ago this was where I lived, and now I felt like a stranger. He walked to the living room and sat down on the sofa, and not knowing what to do, I sat down next to him. Thankfully, he started talking first, “I talked to Louis earlier on...and I’m sorry that I told you that it was partly your fault. It obviously wasn’t. I would more or less have reacted the same way if the situation was reversed,” he started, almost speaking formally, like I wasn’t the girl he had cuddled with a few days ago, the girl he had given a crystal heart to at the party.

“I’m sorry I’ve been avoiding you, when we should have just talked immediately. Waiting obviously wasn’t good for either of us,” he said, looking down. I looked at myself, and realised that I was probably the mirror image of Niall right now.

 I was about to start talking, when he asked, “So, where are you living for now?”

I could literally feel my eyes dull over. This was it; our official breakup. Niall wasn’t feeling restless because he wanted me back, he just wanted this over and done with. I blinked back tears as I shrugged, looking down. I stood up, “I guess Zayn won’t...he won’t mind me staying over for a while. I’ll come for my stuff later, then,” I shuffled towards the door, hoping that I wouldn’t cry till I was at least outside.

“That’s it then? You’re just gonna walk away from our relationship?” Niall’s voice stopped me in my tracks. I turned round slowly, he was confusing the hell out of me.

“We practically spent the last couple of months together, and you’re not gonna fight for us?”

“Niall, what do you want me to do? You’re obviously still hurt about the fact that Louis, whilst he was drunk, kissed me. And you know what, I understand. I really do. But just now you basically just told me to move out, and what the heck do you want me to do? Beg at your knees? I mean, I still love you, Niall. Of course I do! And I’ll never stop loving you. But if you want to end this...”

He shook his head at me, “I don’t. I really don’t, Allie. I just...I didn’t know if you wanted to or not. Cos I love you too. And these last two days have been hell for me, literally. All I did was keep replaying all our memories together. The first day you met the boys after your accident, and how you immediately bonded with Louis. Our first night together. I remembered taking you around London, showing you the sights as your eyes shone with excitement.

“I kept remembering your laugh, your amazing laugh that always put a smile on my face. I remembered how depressed I was when I thought that you had gone on a date with Louis to that concert, but then when you came home you kissed me, and I had never felt any happier. And then there was our first date, and when you officially became my girlfriend in that park. All I wanted to do was relive those moments.