Chapter 10 - Ups and Downs

Daniela’s POV:

“Bye mum!” I yelled into our hectic house. She probably hadn’t even heard me, but I was sure she wouldn’t worry about me once she found me missing, so long as I had done my morning chores she didn’t really care. Our house was always full of noise, shouting, screaming. I had 3 little brothers, and a slut of an elder sister, whom we never knew where she really was.

The house was the loudest in our street. My dad had left when he my mum was pregnant with my youngest brother, and ever since then all mum had done was try and erase him from our memory. My mum was always screaming at us, or if not at us, then at our neighbours. If it weren’t for Liam, I was sure I’d have ended up just like Amy, if not worse. Thankfully, Liam was my best friend, and he kept me sane when things at house got worse than usual.

I walked slowly along the street, listening to some songs. I had left the house earlier than usual; I couldn’t take all the chaos. Usually it took me around a quarter of an hour to get to Liam’s, but since I was walking very slowly, it was going to take me at least half an hour today, which was good, considering it was only half past eight and Liam’s day off, meaning he wouldn’t like waking up early.

I bought an ice-cream on my way, sure, it was morning, but it was also summer, and dieting was for losers anyway...that’s what Liam always told me when I started grumbling about my weight. Eventually, I got there, and let myself in with the spare key that he had made me. There was no sound, so I guessed that he was still asleep. I went to the kitchen and made some tea for us both, then when it was done took it to his room and gently shook him awake.

Liam was used to this, me waking him up with a mug of tea, so he just smiled and sat up and started sipping. I shook my shoes off and got into bed with him, and he put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me close.

“Bad day at home?” he asked softly, his voice being all scratchy from just waking up, making it sexy as hell. I nodded, surprised that he had noticed when I hadn’t said a word yet.

“How did you know?” I asked, my voice going all wobbly as tears started sliding down my face, one after the other, each leaving a mark on my face.

Liam put his mug down and took mine too, then hugged me tight.

“I always see it in your eyes, babe,” he just hugged me whilst I cried on his shoulder. When I was pretty much done, I pulled away. He removed some hair from my face, then told me to wait for him whilst he took a quick shower and changed, and then he’d take me out to get my mind off of things.

That’s Liam. He never asks what’s wrong, and I rarely tell him everything, but I do let him in on some things, and recently, I had become more and more open with him. In fact, today I didn’t feel like going out, I just wanted to hang out at his home and talk.

I went to the kitchen and made myself a bowl of cereal, I hadn’t taken anything at my house because David, that’s my youngest brother, had hogged it all for himself and screamed when I tried taking some, so I just left it. By the time I had finished washing the bowl, Liam came in the kitchen. Topless! Meaning I would have to be extra careful to look at his face at all times, and nowhere lower, or I’d pretty much melt or die.

His hair was wet and all scruffed up, and in his hands he had his Batman t-shirt. Good, that meant he wouldn’t be topless for long, and that meant I would get a grip, and the fluttering butterflies inside my stomach would hopefully disappear. I had to stop feeling this way about Liam, he was a friend, always has been, and what with all the fame he’s been getting recently, I was pretty sure he’d get a girlfriend much prettier and funnier and everything better than me sooner or later.