Chapter 12 - You can't expect the unexpected

Allie’s POV:

I switched of the annoying ring tone of Niall’s alarm with a groan. It had been ringing for I don’t know how long at silly-o’clock in the morning, and now I was grumpy. Then a thought occurred to me: where was Niall anyway? He hadn’t switched it off, so was he already up? I turned over and opened my eyes; sure enough, he wasn’t in bed next to me.

I sighed and got up, and managed to stumble into the kitchen, bleary-eyed, somehow managing to bump into at least 5 things on my way there. I sat on a chair and put my head in my hands on the table, waiting for my head to stop pounding since I had gotten out of bed so quickly. Once the room had stopped spinning and I could actually open my eyes properly without being blinded by the light, I got up and went to the fridge to get some juice and some breakfast.

On the fridge, I found a note from Niall:

Hey love! Sorry I left abruptly, but Sean’s in London and he wanted us to meet up. I told you before I left but I don’t think you heard me...

Anyways, I’ll be back tonight most probably but I’ll call you, ok? Oh, and Louis told me to tell you to call him once you’re up, ok?

Love you loads,

Nialler xxx

I smiled, then frowned. That meant I wouldn’t see Niall for a whole day! Then I remembered Louis, so after brushing my teeth I called him.

“Hey Lou! What’s up?”

“Heeeeeey I was wondering when you’d call! We’ve got a bit of a problem with Zayn...I better not say much now but come over as soon as you can, ok?”

“Why are you whispering?! And what’s wrong?”

“I can’t talk about it right now, Zayn’s in the other room. Just come over soon ok?”

I agreed, we hung up. I washed in record time, wore the first thing I found, did my hair up really quickly, and got my phone to text Niall to let him know – wait, Niall forgot his phone here, it was his that had woke me up this morning!

I left a note saying I had gone over to Lou’s, just in case he returned before I did, and with ten minutes to spare, left our flat to go over to Louis’. I had barely knocked on the door twice before the door was opened by a very calm Louis, which was odd. He pulled me to the side and whispered, “Zayn and Amanda broke up last night. I told him to come over this morning and I invited you cos...well...you’re the girl he’s closest to right now. I figured you could help him a lot just by talking.”

My eyes were really wide by the time he had finished talking. Zayn had talked to me about him and Amanda not being in the best situation in their relationship about a month ago, and since he hadn’t spoken of it anymore I had thought that everything went back to normal between them. Obviously, I had been very wrong.

I nodded to Louis, and he pointed to the living room, meaning that Zayn was in there. I nodded again and went in. Zayn was a mess, literally. He was usually so smartly dressed, his hair always perfect, his eyes shining with mischievous excitement...not today! His clothes were all crumpled up, like he had slept in them, his eyes were dull as they looked down at his scruffy shoes, and his hair was all over the place.

I sat next to him and hugged him tight. I didn’t say anything; still dumbstruck by the news, I didn’t have a clue what to say to him. He hugged me back, and after a while, we both pulled back.

“Why didn’t you tell me it was that bad?” I asked him finally, in a gentle voice. The look he gave me broke my heart, it was desperate, sad, seeing one of my best friends like this sucked...a lot.