Scene VI

(Hyde Park, that morning. LADY ANNE LINDSAY strolls with her friend MRS. MARIA ANNE FITZHERBERT.)

LADY LINDSAY

So, Maria, how does London suit you this time around?

MRS. FITZHERBERT

Much better now, though I cannot judge whether it would be wise to remain here too long, given the dreadful events that transpired during my last visit.

LADY LINDSAY

I promise you, dear, those troubled days are over. You and your family shall not be disturbed again.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

How can you be so sure, Anne? Bigotry is not easily eradicated.

LADY LINDSAY

You have been on the Continent far too long, Maria! You have not witnessed how much London has improved. Now that the war is over, things have settled down, and people with them. I trust you have been treated well since your arrival last month.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

I have, but then I have not yet ventured out of my own circle of acquaintances, which is rather small. You and my uncle are the only people I see with any frequency.

LADY LINDSAY (cont.)

Then it is a good thing us three are going to the opera today. I must acquaint you with as many people as I can if you are to be married before you turn 28.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

But my birthday is in June!

LADY LINDSAY

Then we haven't much time, now, do we? Come, let's make our way to the theatre before the crowds make it impossible to go anywhere.

(They depart. Cut to SCENE VII.)