Scene VII

(The exterior of Carlton house is shown, then the interior. MRS. FITZHERBERT and the DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE are led to the bedchamber by LORD SOUTHAMPTON, LORD ONSLOW, HON. BOUVERIE, and KEATE. As KEATE approaches the door, the other three gentlemen stand back.)

KEATE

(To MRS. FITZHERBERT)

I pray you can stand the sight of blood, madam.

MRS. FITZHERBERT

No, not more than a few drops.

KEATE

Then it would be best that you do not look...anywhere. If the Duchess is willing, perhaps she can guide you in.

DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE

Blood does not shock me in the least. I sometimes compose letters in my own blood when the occasion suits it.

KEATE

I shall first examine the Prince to ensure his bandages are properly bound, and then you may approach him.

(MRS. FITZHERBERT nods, feeling unsettled. KEATE cautiously opens the door and enters, followed by the DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE, who takes MRS. FITZHERBERT's hand and leads her in. Several servants surround the PRINCE OF WALES' bed, blocking MRS. FITZHERBERT's view of him. They exit and allow the DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE to approach him.)

DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE

Oh George, what have you done to yourself?

PRINCE OF WALES

(Weak, confused)

Georgiana? What...

DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE

Lord Southampton directed me here to see you, sir, but I am simply a chaperone for your true visitor.

(The DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE steps aside, revealing the PRINCE OF WALES lying on his bed. His bare chest is covered in bloodied bandages and a glass of brandy sits on his nightstand. He is extremely pale and weak. His hands are also covered in blood and his arms have visible scars.)

(Seeing him in this state shocks MRS. FITZHERBERT, so she gasps and turns around in horror. Her knees buckle and she nearly faints. The DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE takes her arm as another servant brings a chair for her so she can sit.)

PRINCE OF WALES

(Delirious, confused)

Maria?

(He attempts to sit up, but KEATE encourages him to lie back down.)

MRS. FITZHERBERT

I must turn back.

DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE

Mrs. Fitzherbert, rest a moment...

MRS. FITZHERBERT

No, I must go this instant.

(Just as MRS. FITZHERBERT leaves the room, LORD SOUTHAMPTON, HON. BOUVERIE, and LORD ONSLOW appear in front of her, preventing her from going further.)

MRS. FITZHERBERT

Send for the carriage and take me home at once, I beg you.

LORD SOUTHAMPTON

Necessity prevents me, madam. We cannot permit you to leave Carlton House until a promise has been made.

MRS. FITZHERBERT