Scene III

(Brook's club one evening. SHERIDAN enters and finds FOX at a card table. SHERIDAN approaches him just as the hand ends and FOX is collecting his winnings.)

SHERIDAN

How much have you lost today, eh?

FOX

I've gained £200 tonight, thank you!

SHERIDAN

Your belly told me that much.

FOX

(Half-joking)

Very clever, you scrawny bastard!

(SHERIDAN laughs, sits next to FOX, and begins to play in the next hand. Beat.)

SHERIDAN

I've just come from Carlton House.

FOX

Oh? I haven't had a chance to call on Prinny since he returned from Brighthelmstone last month.

SHERIDAN

(More serious)

Then you haven't seen him?

FOX

No, I presumed I would have come across him in Westminster by now, but I haven't yet.

(SHERIDAN gives him a grave look, mildly concerning FOX.)

FOX (cont.)

Why, is he ill?

SHERIDAN

(Pause, lowered voice)

He isn't well; I shall put it that way.

FOX

Has he got another one of his 'colds?'

SHERIDAN

I wish it were only that... The truth is I've never seen him in a worse state. He eats almost nothing—he has lost so much weight I hardly recognize him. He drinks to excess at all hours of the day. He bursts into tears at the drop of a hat and doesn't stop for hours. He keeps himself up all night writing letters in a state of ecstasy; and he cannot be persuaded to sleep until he eventually faints from exhaustion in the early hours of the morning.

(Pause; FOX cannot believe what he is hearing.)

FOX

You're bluffing... That cannot be our Prinny; he is always so gay and good-humored. Sure, he is nervous and depressed periodically, but aren't we all?

SHERIDAN

Not like the Prince. I've noticed this pattern in his mood for some time, but it has grown considerably worse since last we saw him.

FOX

You said he has a habit of writing letters all night; who is the recipient?

(SHERIDAN gives him a look, and FOX instantly knows.)

FOX (cont.)

Mrs. Fitzherbert, still? It can't be. He has never longed for a woman this long.

(Dismissively, looking at his cards)

I cannot understand him.

SHERIDAN

His groomsmen of the bedchamber say he is threatening to kill himself.

(FOX is dumbfounded; he cannot believe what he is hearing.)

SHERIDAN (cont.)

You ought to make a point of seeing him as soon as possible.

(FOX considers this. Cut to SCENE IV.)