Scene xiii

Brighton Pavilion, the next morning. MRS. FITZHERBERT enters the drawing room to find the DUKE OF YORK gazing out a window. Thinking it is the PRINCE OF WALES, MRS. FITZHERBERT approaches him casually.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: I pray the journey here was not too laborious. Was it, George?

The DUKE OF YORK turns to face MRS. FITZHERBERT, revealing his identity.

DUKE OF YORK: Forgive me, madam. You mistake me for my brother.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: Oh, of course. You are the Duke of York.

DUKE OF YORK: I am, madam. And you are the famed Mrs. Fitzherbert!

MRS. FITZHERBERT: [Concerned] You know my name, sir?

DUKE OF YORK: Why, of course! I've heard much about you from George; he holds you in the highest regard.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: Oh, well, I...

The PRINCE OF WALES enters the drawing room in good spirits.

PRINCE OF WALES: Ah, Frederick! I see you've made Maria's acquaintance.

DUKE OF YORK: I have, and she is every bit as charming and handsome as you said she would be!

MRS. FITZHERBERT: I-I was only calling on His Royal Highness' house because...because I-I—

PRINCE OF WALES: [Putting his arm around her reassuringly] Do not fret, my love. Frederick knows about our marriage.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: [Sighs with relief] Oh... Thank Heaven 'tis so.

DUKE OF YORK: Let me assure you, madam, that I shall keep your connection in confidence.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: I am grateful for that.

MRS. FITZHERBERT and the PRINCE OF WALES sit on one sofa, and the DUKE OF YORK sits across from them.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: How does Your Royal Highness like Brighton?

DUKE OF YORK: Brighton is lovely, but I am eagerly anticipating my return to Windsor, and to have you both in London will be a great blessing indeed.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: We are taking leave of Brighton?

PRINCE OF WALES: Not today, but in a fortnight.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: I was under the impression that we were both content here.

PRINCE OF WALES: You must agree that the distance between Windsor and Brighton is too great for brothers who have spent half a decade apart.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: I suppose so...

PRINCE OF WALES: [Endearingly] Maria, we can be happy anywhere in the world so long as we are together. You will return to London with me, will you not?

MRS. FITZHERBERT: Wherever you go, I will go also. But George, you will remain true to yourself, yes? You will not revert to your old habits?

PRINCE OF WALES: Upon my honor, Frederick and I both shall be on our very best behavior.

The DUKE OF YORK nods reassuringly. Cut to ACT II, SCENE XIV.