Scene xi

The exterior of Brighton Pavilion is shown in Brighton in the evening. The words 'BRIGHTON, Autumn 1787' appear. Then, the interior of a lavish drawing room is shown, with the fireplace lit. The PRINCE OF WALES, looking cheerful and healthy, lays his head in MRS. FITZHERBERT's lap on a couch in front of the fireplace as she does needlework. 

PRINCE OF WALES: The House finally reached a decision: I shall receive an additional £10,000 annually from His Majesty out of the Civil List, then £161,000 from Parliament with which to pay my creditors, and finally £60,000 for the completion of Carlton House. Not only this, but they have abandoned the investigation into our marriage due to want of evidence.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: I am glad you will be more comfortable.

PRINCE OF WALES: 'Tis of little consequence. You alone are substantial comfort. I can scarcely recall a period in my life when I was this happy.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: Nor can I. I rejoice in the fact that we are inseparable once again.

PRINCE OF WALES: I hardly miss London, nor have I had any liquor since leaving it, save an occasional glass of wine. I find myself perfectly content walking with you on the Steine and keeping mild company.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: I agree entirely... 'Tis late. I should return to my house within the hour.

PRINCE OF WALES: [Caressing her hand] Do stay the night, darling. I've arranged several mirrors in my bedchamber so that you can view the sea from my bed. And in the morning, you can watch me sea-bathe from the balcony.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: This week alone, you have spent two nights at my house. Should we not fear arousing public suspicion?

PRINCE OF WALES: Oh, what does it matter? We are man and wife, after all.

Enter PAGE #1. The PRINCE OF WALES sits up on the sofa.

PAGE #1: You Royal Highness, His Majesty the King wishes to inform you that His Royal Highness the Duke of York has arrived at Windsor Castle tonight.

PRINCE OF WALES: [Incredulous] He's returned to England?

PAGE #1: Indeed, sir, the Duke recently completed his military training and was granted permission to leave Hanover. Your Royal Highness' presence is requested at Windsor as soon as it is convenient for you.

PRINCE OF WALES: I shall leave this minute. Thank you, sir.

PAGE #1 bows and exits.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: George, night has already fallen. It would do you good to wait until morning.

PRINCE OF WALES: Nearly seven years have passed since I last saw my brother. I must visit him immediately, but you are welcome to pass the night here.

He kisses her cheek and stands up to leave.

PRINCE OF WALES: Goodnight.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: [Sighs] Goodnight.

The PRINCE OF WALES exits, leaving a disappointed MRS. FITZHERBERT behind him. Wearing his cloak and hat, he enters his phaeton and drives off into the night. Cut to ACT II, SCENE XII.