Scene VIII

(ST. JAMES' PALACE is displayed on the screen. The PRINCE OF WALES is shown running down a corridor approaching the court room. He stops in front of a mirror, inspects himself, and fixes his appearance before cautiously entering the court room. GEORGE III and QUEEN CHARLOTTE sit on their thrones, surrounded by their children the PRINCESS ROYAL, PRINCESS AUGUSTA, PRINCESS ELIZABETH, PRINCE ERNEST, PRINCE AUGUSTUS, PRINCE ADOLPHUS, PRINCESS MARY, PRINCESS SOPHIA, and PRINCESS AMELIA in her mother's arms.

Some court members look at the PRINCE OF WALES in shock as he enters and slips through the crowd. GEORGE III sees him approaching and grimaces. QUEEN CHARLOTTE, noticing this, places her hand on his to comfort him. The PRINCE OF WALES, embarrassed, takes his place next to his father, who refuses to make eye contact with him.

As court is now over, GEORGE III and QUEEN CHARLOTTE stand from their thrones, signaling the court to stand and bow/curtsey to them as they exit. As the ROYAL FAMILY exits, the PRINCE OF WALES tries to keep pace with his father, who tries nevertheless to avoid his son.)

PRINCE OF WALES

Your Majesty...

GEORGE III

Thrice.

PRINCE OF WALES

Forgive me...

GEORGE III

Thrice this year the Prince of Wales has absented himself from court without permission, and 'tis but March. I am sure I can expect many more absences this year.

PRINCE OF WALES

With our going to the opera today, I completely forgot...

(GEORGE III ignores his son and presses on, annoying the PRINCE OF WALES. Outside the palace, three carriages are ready to take the family to the theatre.

PRINCE OF WALES

Dearest Mamma, I beg your forgiveness. I had scheduled another engagement this morning, and...

QUEEN CHARLOTTE

My forgiveness is perhaps easier to secure than the king's. You ought to speak with His Majesty before the opera.

PRINCE OF WALES

He will not listen to me; he never does.

QUEEN CHARLOTTE

Do not say such things. The king cares very much to listen to his children, but I think he fears he will lose his temper if he speaks to you at present.

PRINCE OF WALES

Pray, you speak to him first. Tell him I only missed court due to a miscommunication about our schedule, and that I have no intention of missing court again, and that I remain his most loyal, obedient, and affectionate son.

(QUEEN CHARLOTTE gives him a look, as her son is asking too much of her.)

PRINCE OF WALES (cont.)

Omit that last part if you must.

QUEEN CHARLOTTE

Komm mit mir.

(QUEEN CHARLOTTE walks swiftly toward the king's carriage, with the PRINCE OF WALES cautiously following her. When they reach the carriage, which the king is already inside, they stop.)

QUEEN CHARLOTTE

Mein König!

(GEORGE III sticks his head out the window)