Scene xxiv

(The music booms loudly as the street outside of Carlton House is shown. A large group of people stands outside of his house and watches. FOX and SHERIDAN arrive at the edge of the crowd and gaze upon it with confusion.)

FOX

It simply cannot be true.

SHERIDAN

I suppose we ought to find out for ourselves if it is.

(FOX and SHERIDAN weave through the crowd until they reach the PRINCE OF WALES, who gently dabs his eyes with a handkerchief as his friends, HON. HANGER, COLONEL ST. LEGER, KEMBLE, WINDHAM, CAPTAIN PAYNE, and COSWAY.)

PRINCE OF WALES

Oh, whatever shall I do? I feel I shall fall to pieces, I'm so distressed.

CAPTAIN PAYNE

All will be well soon enough, Prinny. Brighton isn't so bad.

SHERIDAN

George!

PRINCE OF WALES

Oh, my dearest friends! Thank God you have come.

FOX

What the devil is this?

PRINCE OF WALES

My darling Charles, Richard, how can I tell you this?... I am abandoning London...indefinitely.

(Pause. FOX and SHERIDAN stare at the PRINCE OF WALES, then at each other, in complete disbelief.)

FOX

You aren't serious.

PRINCE OF WALES

I regret to say I am. My load of debts has impelled me to shut up Carlton House and dismiss the majority of my household. I leave today for Brighton, where I shall reside until this most unpleasant business is resolved.

SHERIDAN

But why is this necessary? Surely, the King...

PRINCE OF WALES

(Dramatically)

His Majesty has refused to provide me with the monetary aid I require to reimburse my creditors, so I must resort to living like a slave until he shines his divine light of mercy upon me.

FOX

And if His Majesty should remain adamant?

PRINCE OF WALES

(Trying to convince himself)

The King could never be so cruel as to ignore the distress of such a loyal, obedient son as myself. He will come to pity me. 

SHERIDAN

If I may, Your Royal Highness, His Majesty might offer pecuniary assistance sooner if you agreed to marry a suitable princess.

FOX

(Catching on, smiling)

Now, there is a good idea. Since you aren't married, why not wed, say, Princess Louisa of Orange? 'Tis a match that has been much pressed on you by your family.

PRINCE OF WALES

I will never marry. My resolution is taken on that subject. I have settled it with Frederick.

SHERIDAN

Is that so?

PRINCE OF WALES

No, I will never marry. Frederick will marry, and the crown will descend to his children.

(Beat)

Now, I must be off. Gentlemen...

(The PRINCE OF WALES, hoping to avoid the subject, hastily tips his hat to his friends and walks off towards the carriages, which are being loaded with his belongings. FOX, SHERIDAN, and the others pursue him. The PRINCE OF WALES stops in front of his carriage, and everyone falls silent to hear him speak.)

PRINCE OF WALES

Gentlemen, it is with a heavy heart that I take leave of Carlton House today, as I am compelled live a pauper's life in Brighton until my frugal lifestyle stabilizes my finances. Pray, do not implore me to stay, for I have a firm determination not to appear again in public till I can do so with that dignity and splendor to which my rank in life entitles me.

(CAPTAIN PAYNE begins clapping enthusiastically, followed by everyone else. The PRINCE OF WALES, after smiling and bowing to everyone is helped into his carriage and subsequently waves his hat out the window to the crowd.)

SHERIDAN

He won't outlast the year, living in that manner.

FOX

Well, of course not, and when he returns to beg Parliament for money, he will be our problem.

PRINCE OF WALES

Farewell, everybody! Goodbye!

(The PRINCE OF WALES' carriage takes off down the road as the gates to Carlton House are shut and locked. He sticks his head and arm back in the carriage. Distressed, he frowns, groans, and puts his head in his hands.)

PRINCE OF WALES (cont.)

Oh, God help me if this doesn't work...

(Once the carriage drives out of sight the words 'END OF ACT I' appear as the screen turns black and the music ends.)

END OF ACT I