Scene xix

The exterior of Windsor Castle is shown, and the words 'NOVEMBER 5TH, 1788' appear. Mozart's "Overture to Le Nozze di Figaro" begins to play. As many servants move the PRINCE OF WALES' belongings into his chambers, he and the DUKE OF YORK walk toward the dining room. 

PRINCE OF WALES: What has been prepared for dinner?

DUKE OF YORK: Turkey, pheasant, duck, partridge, venison, white soup, artichokes, French beans, potatoes, and pudding, along with the usual bread, cheese, and butter.

PRINCE OF WALES: Is that all?

DUKE OF YORK: 'Tis so. The King eats very scarce these days and insists we do also.

They reach the dining room, where they find their sisters and QUEEN CHARLOTTE waiting outside of it. They bow to her, and she curtseys to them.

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: You may all go to dinner, but stand behind your chairs until His Majesty comes.

All the ROYAL CHILDREN enter the dining room except for the PRINCE OF WALES, whom QUEEN CHARLOTTE stops.

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: I must first entreat a word with Your Royal Highness.

PRINCE OF WALES: I would be more than willing to oblige Your Majesty.

The last children enter the dining room, leaving QUEEN CHARLOTTE and the PRINCE OF WALES alone.

PRINCE OF WALES: Will the King not come to dinner?

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: He will, when it is convenient for him. However, His Majesty's conduct grows more erratic and unpredictable by the hour. This morning, the Princess Royal and I found him in tolerable spirits, but I cannot promise he will be agreeable tonight. Nevertheless, I expect Your Royal Highness to show His Majesty the utmost reverence and understanding.

PRINCE OF WALES: Of course, madam.

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: You must not speak to the King unless he first speaks to you, and any insult His Majesty may deliver must be disregarded and forgotten. 

The PRINCE OF WALES hesitantly nods. He and QUEEN CHARLOTTE enter the dining room together. The PRINCESSES and the DUKE OF YORK wait behind their chairs (The younger PRINCES are all abroad for military, naval, and educational purposes). The PRINCE OF WALES and QUEEN CHARLOTTE stand behind their respective chairs. After a minute or so of silence, shouting is heard from outside. The door swings open, and KING GEORGE III hurriedly stumbles in. Everyone bows or curtseys to him.

KING GEORGE III: 'Tis a very foolish thing; only fools could wear it, after all, and am I fool? Nay, I am the King! How dreadful dangerous the ceiling is; we shall dine in the drawing room. Nay, for the fire in the hearth shall consume us all. We shall dine here, but if any pears are on the table, I shall toss them out the window so that we are all not poisoned. And what a glorious day for riding, is it not? I should wonder where all the tea has gone. Sit! Always standing, never sitting, you people. You are making me nervous. Sit at once, I say!

KING GEORGE III jerks back his chair and sits in it. The rest of the ROYAL FAMILY cautiously sits.