Scene xxxi

PITT is let into Windsor Castle on a cold, cloudy day. A servant takes his coat, and SERVANT #3 approaches him.

SERVANT #3: If you would follow me upstairs, Mr. Pitt.

SERVANT #3 silently leads PITT up the staircase and down several corridors. Finally, they reach a door. Several quiet voices are heard inside. SERVANT #3 enters, and PITT follows him. PITT finds the PRINCE OF WALES sitting at the head of a rectangular table. DR. WARREN, DR. HEBERDEN, DR. REYNOLDS, and SIR LUCAS PEPYS sit in other chairs lining the table. PITT's chair, at the other head of the table, is empty. They all stand and bow to welcome him.

SERVANT #3: Here is Mr. William Pitt, Your Royal Highness.

PRINCE OF WALES: [To SERVANT #4] Thank you.

SERVANT #3 bows and exits.

PITT: [Bows] Good day, Your Royal Highness.

PRINCE OF WALES: Mr. Pitt, allow me to introduce you to His Majesty's physicians: Dr. Warren, Dr. Heberden, Dr. Reynolds, and Sir Lucas Pepys. Will you sit?

PITT: I will. [He sits in the empty chair]

PRINCE OF WALES: We were just discussing, Mr. Pitt, His Majesty's present condition. He has healed from his fever, but his senses failed to return to him.

PITT: Have you gentlemen yet identified the King's present illness?

The physicians, none of the wanting to admit their answer, all look to one another.

SIR PEPYS: I am sorry to admit that we have not.

DR. HEBERDEN: We were unable to determine whether the illness was one locally fixed on the brain, or a translation of a disorder from one part to another.

DR. REYNOLDS: It has been unanimously agreed among ourselves that, on the whole, there is more ground to fear than to hope, but a fortnight will pass before we can venture to even pronounce a probable diagnosis.

PITT: Can you be certain as to whether or not he will recover?

The physicians look despondently at one another again.

DR. WARREN: At this point in His Majesty's illness, the odds of his regaining his senses are very slim indeed.

PITT: [Suspicious] Are they really?

They all look at PITT.

DR. WARREN: [To PITT] Mr. Pitt, I have never been more certain of a patient's fate in all my years of practicing medicine. There is every reason to believe that the disorder is no other than direct lunacy, and that His Majesty might never recover.

PITT: [Quietly] I am sorry to hear that.

PRINCE OF WALES: In any case, the King is ill at present, and should therefore be relocated to a place where he can suffer through his illness without being overlooked or observed. I thought Kew might soothe him with its gardens and rural atmosphere.

DR. WARREN: I agree with His Royal Highness; this relocation might be the King's final hope of ever being cured.

PITT: Should we not consider that the King might object to being removed from Windsor?

PRINCE OF WALES: [Seriously] If he does, he shall be removed by force.

PITT: [After a pause] Will the Queen assume power over Windsor once the King has been moved?

PRINCE OF WALES: [Actually greedy for power, but pretends to be humble] No. I shall carry that burden so that it cannot overwhelm Her Majesty. She is heartbroken already, what, with the King being so ill. No. I shall care for Windsor, both now and in future.

DR. WARREN: If the King is too ill to remain at Windsor, how can he be well enough to rule?

PITT: He cannot... If His Majesty's mind and health are not restored... a regent must be installed in his place.

PRINCE OF WALES: Who will that be?

PITT and the physicians all look up at the PRINCE OF WALES.

PRINCE OF WALES: [His eyes widen] Me? Prince Regent? [Trying to appear uninterested] It would be a heavy burden to bear, to be certain, but I would carry it nonetheless, as I have a duty to honor this great country... If I were to become Prince Regent, theoretically, what powers would I assume?

PITT: [Quietly] All of them.

PRINCE OF WALES: [After a pause, amazed] All?

PITT: Every power that His Majesty currently possesses would be yours. You would essentially be a king without the title of one.

PRINCE OF WALES: If I acquired the full power of a monarch, I could, theoretically, create my own government and replace its current members with those of my own choosing, could I not?

PITT stares anxiously back at the PRINCE OF WALES, hardly able to respond and now fearful for his position in government.

PITT: [Gravely, after a long pause] Yes.

The PRINCE OF WALES now looks interested. Cut to ACT II, SCENE XXXII.