Scene xxxvii

Outside the House of Commons. The words 'December 10, 1788' appear. The Introitus of Mozart's Requiem begins to play. Snow covers the ground, and more falls in large flakes. Many politicians stand around waiting for the doors to open; some wear Whig colors, while others wear Tory colors. Passersby on the street watch with wonder; they also wear the colors of the party, including the Whig women, who adorn their hair with three large, white feathers in support of the PRINCE OF WALES. PITT's small, modest carriage pulls up to the scene. He steps out, and gives a small wave to everyone. The TORIES cheer politely for him. Just then, the music booms louder, the PRINCE OF WALES' massive, ornate carriage stops next to PITT's. Everyone rushes over to see him. He is let out, and steps down from his carriage wearing his black cloak and tricorn hat. Everyone bows. He struts proudly past them, looking from left to right to ensure that everyone is bowing. When he passes by the TORIES, they all hesitantly bow.

PITT: [Nervous] Good morning, Your Royal Highness...

The PRINCE OF WALES ignores PITT and continues walking. Everyone stands up straight and whispers amongst themselves. PITT sighs worriedly to himself.

PITT: Passing this bill would be no trouble at all if the Prince did not detest me.

LORD CHATHAM: [To PITT] Do not let His Royal Highness trouble you, William. He cannot testify against himself in the Commons. Only the Whigs can speak for him.

PITT: Their hatred for me is not any less severe.

LORD CHATHAM: You are a far more eloquent orator than Fox. I take that as fact. I should wonder why you are nervous at all.

PITT: Our careers and our country are at stake, John. How can I be anything but nervous?

LORD CHATHAM: Because I firmly believe that our bill will pass.

PITT: I can only pray to God that your prediction is accurate.

Several yards away, the PRINCE OF WALES comes upon the WHIGS, who stand in a huddle and mutter to one another.

PRINCE OF WALES: Ahem.

The WHIGS turn around to see the PRINCE OF WALES.

DUKE OF PORTLAND: [Apprehensive] Your Royal Highness! 'Tis the big day, is it not?... A little nerve-racking, is it not?

FOX: Oh, hush, William. I am the finest orator in the entire House. Let me assure you that I would not have cut my holiday in the warm and pleasant climate of Italy short if I suspected that the Tories' Regency Bill had even the slightest chance of obtaining approval.

SHERIDAN: God, I wish I had some wine.

PRINCE OF WALES: I daresay we could all put good use to a bottle each.

FOX: Now, won't you have any faith in me? I have a strong argument to present: you are entitled to full powers as Prince Regent, and to deny you that would be blasphemy and treason, as it would be a direct attack on your divine right to rule as heir to the throne. Let's see Pitt try to refute that!

Cut to ACT II, SCENE XXXVIII.