Scene xvi

The words "October 26, 1788" appear. The PRINCE OF WALES arrives at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle, where he finds the DUKE OF YORK waiting anxiously outside. 

DUKE OF YORK: George!

PRINCE OF WALES: Morning, Frederick.

DUKE OF YORK: There is an urgent matter we must discuss.

PRINCE OF WALES: It shall have to wait until after the service; I will not be scolded by the King for arriving one minute late.

DUKE OF YORK: It concerns Father's health.

PRINCE OF WALES: I thought he had recovered from his stomachache.

DUKE OF YORK: He has, but he has since been...out of sorts...and I thought you ought to be aware of it.

PRINCE OF WALES: Why, is he grumpier than usual?

DUKE OF YORK: He is indeed irritable, and confused, and apparently nervous.

PRINCE OF WALES: What about?

DUKE OF YORK: Nobody knows, but His Majesty stresses it every minute of every day.

PRINCE OF WALES: What can this mean?

DUKE OF YORK: In the words of his physician, the King is displaying an agitation of spirits nearly bordering on delirium. There is not yet an explanation as to how or why this is occurring.

PRINCE OF WALES: [Laughs] You mean to tell me that our father, the King of Great Britain who possesses all the sense and knowledge in the world, is going mad?

The DUKE OF YORK remains grave, and the PRINCE OF WALES stops laughing.

PRINCE OF WALES: I don't believe it.

A choir and organ can be heard within the chapel. 

DUKE OF YORK: The service has begun, so you shall see him for yourself. All I ask is that you pretend nothing has changed. Should you give him a skeptical look, or whisper in my ear, he might... Well, let's to church.

The DUKE OF YORK hesitantly opens the chapel door and lets himself and the PRINCE OF WALES inside

The DUKE OF YORK hesitantly opens the chapel door and lets himself and the PRINCE OF WALES inside. As they walk down the aisle, the sound of KING GEORGE III's muttering becomes more apparent. 

KING GEORGE III: I am nervous; I am very, very nervous. I am nervous, I tell you.

KING GEORGE III suddenly stands up, pulling QUEEN CHARLOTTE, the PRINCESS ROYAL, PRINCESS AUGUSTA, and PRINCESS ELIZABETH up with him. This startles everyone, especially the PRINCE OF WALES.

KING GEORGE III: [Loudly] You know what it is to be nervous. But was you ever as bad as this?

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: [Whispering] Please, Your Majesty, let us hear the reverend finish his sermon.

KING GEORGE III relents and allows his daughters to sit.

KING GEORGE III: But I am nervous. Yes, I am nervous.

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: I am most sorry for it.

KING GEORGE III: So am I! That Baker hasn't done anything for me that wasn't completely malicious and—

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: Your Majesty may recount those events after the service.

KING GEORGE III finally sits down, much to everyone's relief. The PRINCE OF WALES and DUKE OF YORK sit in the pew behind them, next to some of their other siblings.

PRINCE OF WALES: [Quietly] Good God.

KING GEORGE III turns to see his two eldest sons behind him.

KING GEORGE III: You! How dare you saunter into this house of God three minutes past nine, making your poor brother late with idle talk!

DUKE OF YORK: I implore Your Majesty's forgiveness—

KING GEORGE III: No, no, I wasn't talking to you, my dear Frederick. I know you would never commit a deed so malicious as this.

PRINCE OF WALES: [Offended] Your Majesty—

KING GEORGE III: Pray!

PRINCE OF WALES: I beg your pardon?

KING GEORGE III: Kneel before your God and beseech His forgiveness, you foolish ingrate!

The PRINCE OF WALES begrudgingly kneels and folds his hands. Mollified, KING GEORGE III turns back around in his seat.

PRINCE OF WALES: [Muttering to himself] Shall I also pray for Your Majesty's health?

DUKE OF YORK: George!

KING GEORGE III: What?!

DUKE OF YORK: George was only praying that Your Majesty might soon recover from your stomach ailment.

KING GEORGE III: I already have, in spite of that Sir Baker, who prescribed me enough Senna to turn my insides to soup and—

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: [Pleading] Your Majesty, please!

KING GEORGE III: Oh, alright... But I am nervous!

Everyone is motioned to stand and sing a hymn. KING GEORGE III sings loudly, atonally, and incoherently, rousing the suspicion of the congregation.

PRINCE OF WALES: I do not know this gentleman. He is not our father.

DUKE OF YORK: But he is, and we must treat him as such.

PRINCE OF WALES: Surely, he will reschedule tomorrow's concert, given the circumstances of his illness.

DUKE OF YORK: On the contrary, he has every intention of attending it.

PRINCE OF WALES: In his state?

DUKE OF YORK: He is not too far off.

PRINCE OF WALES: Look at him, Frederick! He's as mad as a goose on Christmas Eve!

DUKE OF YORK: Even so, he would never display this conduct in the presence of his entire Court. 

Cut to ACT II, SCENE XVII.