Scene xii

Windsor Castle, later that night. The PRINCE OF WALES pulls up in his phaeton and stops it near the door. He exits it and is let into Windsor Castle, where he is led to a drawing room. He is let into the room by SERVANT #3.

SERVANT #3: Your Majesties, presenting His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales.

SERVANT #3 exits. The PRINCE OF WALES enters the drawing room and finds the DUKE OF YORK talking to KING GEORGE III and QUEEN CHARLOTTE. KING GEORGE III looks toward the PRINCE OF WALES and frowns. QUEEN CHARLOTTE also looks in his direction, as does the DUKE OF YORK, who stands to face his brother.

PRINCE OF WALES: Frederick...

DUKE OF YORK: George!

They warmly grin and embrace each other, much to their parents' dismay.

DUKE OF YORK: You've grown incredibly tall!

PRINCE OF WALES: Me? Look at you! You were a mere boy of sixteen when last I saw you, and now you are a man of twenty-four!

KING GEORGE III: Yes, yes, you have both grown tremendously. But the hour is late, and I should like to get to bed. Frederick, your chamber has already been prepared for you.

PRINCE OF WALES: I had hoped that Frederick could return to Brighton with me.

DUKE OF YORK: What a brilliant idea! May I, Your Majesty?

KING GEORGE III: [Sighs, to the PRINCE OF WALES] It is too late to alter your frame of mind, and I have too much of a stomachache to argue with you... Go to Brighton, Frederick, but I expect to have you here at Windsor in a fortnight.

DUKE OF YORK: Certainly, Your Majesty. [To the PRINCE OF WALES] You'll return to your house in London, yes? Otherwise, we shall be apart again.

PRINCE OF WALES: Yes, I suppose it is high time for me to return to London. I daresay it was my long absence that caused my birthday to be ignored at Court this year. For that I am indebted to our father, as he saved me a lengthy drive.

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: [With warning] George! Mind your brother and see to it that he behaves honorably.

PRINCE OF WALES: I shall make it my utmost priority, madam. We had better be off. 'Tis very late.

DUKE OF YORK: [Bows] Goodnight, Your Majesties.

The DUKE OF YORK kisses QUEEN CHARLOTTE's hand, as does the PRINCE OF WALES, who is received with looks of warning from his parents. The PRINCE OF WALES and DUKE OF YORK excitedly exit, leaving their parents to worry. KING GEORGE III clutches at his stomach as he and QUEEN CHARLOTTE depart the drawing room for bed.

KING GEORGE III: [Groaning] I should have kept him in Hanover.

Cut to ACT II, SCENE XIII.