Scene viii

(The hall inside of the House of Commons. The words 'MAY 4TH, 1787' appear. GREY is shown talking to FOX, SHERIDAN, the DUKE OF PORTLAND, LORD LOUGHBOROUGH, LORD STORMONT, the DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE, EDMUND BURKE, and LORD SANDWICH.)

GREY

You must forgive me, Mr. Fox, but I cannot speak on your behalf today.

FOX

And why the devil not?

GREY

I have decided that it would not be in your best interest, sir.

FOX

Did you not call at Carlton yesterday and speak with the Prince?

GREY

I...had the misfortune of doing so, yes.

FOX

(Annoyed)

What happened?

GREY

Well... I called at Carlton House yesterday evening.

SHERIDAN

Oh, Christ, not another bloody story.

(A flashback begins, with GREY narrating it. Carlton House is shown. SERVANT #1 opens the door to find an eager GREY, whom he lets inside.)

GREY 

I was led to the crimson drawing room, where I was asked to wait so that the servant could apprise the Prince of my arrival.

(SERVANT #1 hesitantly returns, opens the door, and allows GREY to enter.)

GREY (cont.)

When I was finally permitted to enter, I bowed to the Prince with the sincerest reverence. However, upon rising, I observed that His Royal Highness appeared to be in a state of trepidation and nearing one of inebriation.

(The PRINCE OF WALES, looking tipsy, disheveled and miserable, is shown drinking from a bottle of brandy while trembling and pacing the room. Upon seeing GREY, the PRINCE OF WALES stands still and approaches GREY with relief.)

PRINCE OF WALES

(Slurring his words slightly)

Mr... Grey, is it?

GREY (within flashback)

(Nods)

Indeed, Your Royal Highness.

PRINCE OF WALES

Charles certainly went too far last night.

(Patting GREY on the shoulder)

You, my dear...Grey...shall explain it.

GREY

How might I go about that, Your Royal Highness?

PRINCE OF WALES

You must contradict Charles on every point he made, but without touching upon the fact...the accusation...that Mrs. Fitzherbert and I are married... Though, I suppose I am obliged to confess that a small ceremony took place, illegitimate though it was...

GREY

As Your Royal Highness is our most important and beloved adherent, I wish to aid you to the best of my ability... However, to contradict Mr. Fox would be to question his veracity, and I could never commit such a betrayal.