Scene xviii

Carlton House is shown later that night. The DUKE OF YORK is having dinner with the PRINCE OF WALES and MRS. FITZHERBERT. While the PRINCE OF WALES is cheerful, the DUKE OF YORK gravely thinks of his ill father.

PRINCE OF WALES: Why so glum, Frederick?

DUKE OF WALES: Father grows worse every day.

PRINCE OF WALES: He shall recover in due time.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: Have you visited His Majesty?

PRINCE OF WALES: I have, but I hardly imagine he wanted to see me.

DUKE OF YORK: On the contrary; today, he spoke of you with tears in his eyes and with the greatest affection. He loves you as much as a father can love his son, his only complaint being that you are not living at Windsor with the rest of us.

PRINCE OF WALES: Well, I couldn't possibly leave Carlton, and it would be all too strange to return to Windsor; my apartments there have been unoccupied for nearly a decade.

DUKE OF YORK: Your presence would undoubtedly alleviate His Majesty's symptoms.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: Do go to him, George.

PRINCE OF WALES: But I would be in want of you too much.

MRS. FITZHERBERT: How can I be of any consequence when your father is ill? Years ago, when my father lay on his deathbed, I spent every minute of the day by his side. I implore you to do the same, for nobody can know for certain when His Majesty will depart from this world.

PRINCE OF WALES: Very well. I shall move into my apartments on the 5th of next month.

DUKE OF YORK: And we shall celebrate your arrival with a dinner attended by the entire family. Oh, George, Father will be overjoyed to have you!

Cut to ACT II, SCENE XIX.