Scene xx

The PRINCE OF WALES' bedchamber in Windsor Castle, later that night. His eyes are pink from having cried, and he has just finished bleeding himself, but he is otherwise unharmed. The DUKE OF YORK and PRINCESS ROYAL comfort him as he lies down on a couch.

DUKE OF YORK: I simply cannot conceive how our gentle father could be so violent.

PRINCESS ROYAL: The King is nervous and confused; he had no ill intentions.

PRINCE OF WALES: No ill intentions? You witnessed the attack, Charlotte. He deliberately took me by the cravat, not Frederick, nor you, nor anybody else. The Queen was seated closer to him than I was, yet she is entirely unscathed.

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: As are you, sir.

The three siblings turn to see their mother, QUEEN CHARLOTTE, standing in the doorway. She slowly enters and stands before the PRINCE OF WALES.

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: I must have a private conversation with the Prince of Wales. 

The DUKE OF YORK and QUEEN CHARLOTTE look at each other before bowing/curtseying to their mother and exiting.

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: What is this?

PRINCE OF WALES: I do not understand you, madam.

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: This melodramatic display: what is its purpose? To arouse pity? Attention? Sympathy?

PRINCE OF WALES: I have been assailed this night!

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: And what wounds have you to show for it?

PRINCE OF WALES: My neck might have been broken, or my head split open, or—

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: The King is in great danger! How is it that you are blind to his suffering?

PRINCE OF WALES: And how is it that you are blind to mine?

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: How dare you complain of imaginary pain while your poor father is in agony! A regency may be upon us yet, and naturally the King is horrified by the idea that he senses may never return—

PRINCE OF WALES: [Intrigued] A regency?

QUEEN CHARLOTTE realizes the mistake she has made in mentioning it. She sighs and cautiously tries to dissuade her son from the idea.

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: There has been talk, predominantly on part of those treacherous Whigs, that should His Majesty's illness become...permanent...a regent must be installed in His Majesty's place to rule with full powers of the monarch.

PRINCE OF WALES: And upon whom would this regency be bestowed?

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: This has been subject to some debate; however, nearly all concur that a title of Prince Regent should fall to the first in line to the throne...

PRINCE OF WALES: I see...

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: This is only talk, sir. The King will likely recover in the coming weeks, and negotiations of a regency will never reach the Commons.

PRINCE OF WALES: Yes, right... [To himself] Full powers of the monarch!

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: [Insulted]  I am glad to see Your Royal Highness so bereaved over His Majesty's declining health!

PRINCE OF WALES: But I am, Your Majesty! Let me do something; let me find another physician for the King, one who can do him service. As a matter of fact, I have one in mind who—

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: I shall say this but once, sir: decisions pertaining to His Majesty's health will be decided by myself and his physicians alone. Am I understood?

PRINCE OF WALES: [Bitterly]  Yes, madam.

QUEEN CHARLOTTE: Now, Your Royal Highness ought to go to bed early, lest you should exacerbate your extensive injuries... Goodnight, sir.

PRINCE OF WALES: Goodnight, Your Majesty.

QUEEN CHARLOTTE slowly holds out for her hand. The PRINCE OF WALES reluctantly kisses it. As QUEEN CHARLOTTE exits, the PRINCE OF WALES deviously smiles to himself. Cut to ACT II, SCENE XXI.