Chapter 25: How Long Can Dark Avoid A Lecture?

Seth, Rod, Laura, and Reese typed away as they tried to decipher the data slug. It's been a long morning and it was just that morning. The Space Pirates had made it virtually impossible to break through their digital defenses and get to the data they kept under lock and key.

"Any luck?" Dr. Taylor asks from the doorway, both his hands holding a warm mug of coffee.

"No, their defenses are hard to penetrate." Reese responds in her normal cool voice. She sips her own mug of cold coffee, frowning after the sip.

"Alright, well don't overwork yourselves guys," He says before leaving.

Rod sighs in exasperation, "Easy for him to say, he's not the one doing the decoding." There was a huff of agreement between them.

My alarm blares as I toss my body towards my bedside table where my phone lays. I grab my phone and turn off the alarm. I lay there, in my bed, staring at the ceiling for a while, relishing in the peace and quiet before I get ready for the day. When me and Majung make it into the kitchen we are greeted by the delicious smell of bacon and french toast. My mouth waters and I sit down and wait for the bacon to be delivered to my empty plate. Once I'm finished devouring my bacon, I help clean up.

"Hey Dark, I think we need to go shopping again." Guava says as she opens the fridge.

"Oh god. That's gonna be a problem," I say as I scrub down the kitchen table. "Ugh, I don't want to deal with the lecture that accompanies that trip."

"Well, I hate to break it to you but no one else is going to do it." Guava states, shutting the fridge door. She tosses me my keys and adds, "You'll need these."

I groan and head down to the garage, hoping that I can avoid the confrontation. I get into the car.

"Miss Light where are you going?" I scream as Simon's voice comes through the speaker.

"Uh, just going grocery shopping. Also can you please stop doing this!"

"Miss Light It's dangerous to go out there now, please wait til later."

"Your concern is very much appreciated but if i don't do grocery shopping, we'll all be starving to death. So I'm going to go and be careful when I'm there. Please don't tell the others, I'm kinda sick of lectures." I say as I head out to the grocery store.

"Where's Dark?" Dr. Ancient asks Simon.

Simon looks at her quietly, "She told me not to tell you that she went grocery shopping."

"SHE DID WHAT?!" Dr. Ancient screamed.