Chapter 44: Change of Rules

"Are you serious, Granpa?!" Theresa exclaimed after she heard about the Overseer's proposal to change the current examination. One can clearly tell how shocked she was as she accidentally slipped her tongue and called him 'Granpa'.

"Yes, I am serious about this." The blonde man on the monitor nodded.

"But why now?! The promotion exam will start next week." Theresa has a point. She kept reading the document that Otto sent to her. Especially on the part where the proposed change to be put in the practical exams. She put it down and massages her temple as she determined that it would be hard for the students to prepare for it. Much less now that they only have less than a week.

"The introduction of Emperor level honkai as an opponent... Do you think a bunch of C Rank Valkyrie would be able to take it out?" that was Theresa main concern. She pick up the cup of tea that is on her desk and took a sip to calm down his nerves.

Otto smiled as he understands where his granddaughter was going into. He begun operating his terminal on his part as a ping sound came from the principal's monitor. The screen shows a notification of a file that was sent to her by the Overseer. Theresa stared at the blonde man as her eyes seems to ask, what is this is. "I believe you would understand my decision if you read that report."

The principal raises an eyebrow, in doubt about what the man was referring to. She opened the file and did a quick scan to it. It was not soon that her eyes widen in surprise. "Is this true?"

"Unfortunately, yes" Otto nodded, making the small principal hang her head in disbelief.

The file was a report about the recent appearances of the honkai beast. It says that the honkai has been appearing frequently as of late. Not to mention, it seems like they are growing stronger as the file also includes the growing number of casualties and injuries of the Valkyries.

"As you can see, the lives of the new recruits is at risk. If we do not put a tighter grip on the ranking system, some may end up with a mission that they cannot handle." Otto explained his reason for the change. "This report would normally cause a total overhaul to the system but since we can't afford doing it all at once, I decided to start first with the training facilities."

"Hence why you choose to change the difficulty of the exam." Theresa continued, earning a nod from the overseer. "However, the problem still remains, the students will not have enough time to prepare. Although there is still an option to postpone it, but I don't think that would be the best move."

"Do not worry, I have already formulated some plans for this situation." Otto said to reassure the worried white-haired girl(?). Once again, he sent another file. "I apologize but this is all the time I had for now. I am busy organizing things here in the Headquarters as it is quite hectic because of that report. If you have any inquiries, I suggest you should refer to Rita."

The blonde bid farewell and hung up the call. The whole room became silent as the only sound that can be heard is the beeping sound of Theresa operating the terminal and reading the documents that was sent to her by the Overseer.

After a few minutes, she heave out a sigh and leaned on her chair. Her head is aching a bit so she massages it to elevate the pain.

"This will be hard... " She muttered as she reached for the intercom on her desk and pressed it. "Please, announce for an emergency staff meeting. And would you also contact Ms. Rita Rossweise the come too."

@@@@@@@@@

Glynne and Fu Hua are facing each other while sitting with their legs crossed on top of a huge boulder.

"Are you ready?" the girl asked in which the boy responded with a nod. With his permission, Fu Hua put a hand on his chest as it begun to glow with an orange hue.