Jariyah's Birthday

Guys, there are two POVs in this chapter, I'll tell you when it changes. I'm sorry it's been so late, this girl has had writer's block and I've been taking stock of my own self.

PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE.

"Is she even her age at all?"

She asked me as she turned down the comforter down and lay in it, adjusting the hem of her nightgown, I longed to pull her to myself but I refrained, I need my wits about me right now.

"That's what she says. Apparently, Safeenah told her how they suffered in their mallam's hands." She sighs, sadness reaches her eyes, a shake if head later, one tear is fast flowing to the crease between her nose and her cheek. I want to wipe it away, but it's going to lead to other things.

"How much would be needed?" I think back and forth and then shake my head.

"We'd have to ask Zain," Immediately Zain's name falls from my lips, I remember something. "She actually said she is taxing all of us, to give all we can to her project. Apparently, a school that can house about hundred is the goal." Halima shakes her head as she pulls the box of tissues we usually keep on the bedside table closer.

"She's so kind. So thoughtful." I chuckle, Halima doesn't see that even though Jariyah has always been nuturing, she raised that girl to see the world differently, with the way she treats the house help, to the beggars on the street or even a fruit seller.

"She got it from her Umma." She wrinkles her nose at me, not believing for a second what I have said. Instead of commenting on my statement, she pulls the comforter closer and tries to close her eyes.

"What are you doing? Ehn" I ask her with a mock frown. She turns her back at me and pulls the light duvet over her head. I pull the cover back and sing Aleesia Cara's song to her, "Don't hide your face, shine your light. Your light is a great shine for our paths. Okay?"

She doesn't reply, only looks at me in surprise, then I pull closer and she willingly goes into my arms. I hold her for a full minute before sighing.

"I don't know, but you're one of my best decisions. Especially forgetting Jariyah and Lubby that day. Everyday, I wonder what life would be without your quiet support,  your amazing self, your light most especially. It's hard to see life without you." She covers my mouth when I'm done speaking, taking hold of my light beard and pulling hard. She does that when she needs me to shut up and listen.

"You're." She stops to find words, her face shines with the effort. "A blessing. That's all I can say. Allah blessed me with you. He just said, 'Take, my servant, here's a gift from me to you'." I blink. I wonder how we went from talking about Jariyah's birthday to heartfelt words.

"Let's sleep and tomorrow, I'll tell Jariyah how to ask her uncles and aunties for money." I laughed out loud, Jariyah would like that exceptionally.

*****

Third Person Pov.

"Let me see that design?" Jariyah passed her Umma a card cut in the shape of a rose, Lubna was sticking pieces of it to a bigger sized card that would serve as the jacket for the invitation to Jariyah's ninth birthday party. The whole house was buzzing with excitement, especially since the party was going to be held at the park in their estate.

"Umma?" Jariyah called as she shaded another rose with a pink pencil, she had designed at least seventeen roses for her ten Junior secondary school classmates and some of Lubna's friends, Safeenah's friends too were coming.

"Yes," Jariyah out the pencil down and watched her Umma, till Halima was forced to put down the spoon stirring the Miyan Bushashen pot.

"Is everything okay?" Jariyah sighed theatrically, making Halima smile with an eyeroll. "Will my classmates come? They don't even talk to me on school days." She finally said with a pout. Halima turned to turn off the cooker before pulling the chair in front of Jariyah to sit herself firmly.

"Jary, if they don't take it, bring it back home. Many of Safeenah's friends would love to be at that party, they would even appreciate it more. So, if your classmates are brats, bring the invitations back home and let's send them to those who will gladly come. Okay?" Jariyah nodded solemnly and Lubna who was putting Invitations into their envelopes said cheekily. "Bring them, I'll give them to my friends, they are asking for theirs already." The three of them laughed out so loud that Na Umaimah who was picking beans in a corner was forced to look at them.

A week later, Halima, Jamal, Kemi, Chike, Summayah and Zain sat in Summayah's small dining room in Wuse 2 to celebrate the final sentencing of Muhsin and his brothers. Muhsin was re-sentenced to death by hanging by another judge in Lagos who presided over their case with three other ladies.

"Here's to bad people getting out away for ever." Summayah called out loud and they all clinked glasses. Jamal swallowed his wine and asked with a smile, "Are we allowed to celebrate another person's death like this, is this Haram?"

They all stopped drinking and looked at themselves in question. Halima finally spoke. "I would have said something about congratulations on winning the case, but it's about two months late. So, we're celebrating ridding the world of bad people. One person at a time." Summayah took her class and enthusiastically clinked it with Kemi's. The room shook with hearty laughter at the action.

"So, Summayah and Zain, when are we allowed to start the countdown." Zain sheepishly smiled at them all and twisted his hands. He had gone to meet Summayah's father but he said he wanted nothing to do with his children. Especially Summayah since he thought she was the one who made her mother leave.

"Soon. In Sha Allah." Halima nodded and turned to Kemi who was furiously studying the non alcoholic wine bottle suspiciously. Halima watched her for a moment and just shook her head, Kemi was furiously avoiding commitment and even Chike was worried. Her therapy drained her so much that the only things she put her energy into was designing clothes.

"So guys, Jariyah's birthday is in a month. A long month. But, I've heard of nothing else in that house." They all laughed they are their desert, Summayah had gotten food from a caterer and it included a nice chocolate fudge cake.

"So, she asked me to give you all these letters." Jamal pulled out a bunch of four letters from his pocket and handed them to each person. The flap of each envelope was stenciled by Jariyah either each person's name.

Zain who opened his was astonished, his mouth dropped open. "She wants me to help build a two story school in Kubwa, for Almajiri children, she says I can use containers used at the port like a house she saw in the news located in the United States." The others were forced to open their letters and this sparked a buzz in the room.

"She wants me to help see school uniforms. I will be able to help," Kemi turned to Halima and patted her hand from over the table. "You and Jamal are raising an amazing human. You don't know how beautiful this is. I swear. She's so precious." Chike patted his eyes with his pocket square and said, "She asks if I can help paying salaries for at least first two years. I'll do forever if she'll keep being this amazing." Kemi nodded furiously.

Halima looked around the room, bathed in the dim light and promptly burst into tears. It was too much for her.

******

How was it?

We're really winding down to the end, it's making me nostalgic because I didn't think I could ever get this far. Bound is a part of me that just gives me joy Everytime I think of it.

Also, please add my new story Misfortunate to your library. Please help me tag your friends there too. Thank you, God bless you.

See y'all soon.

TheOmoope 💙