'Aure Na Ke So'

Hi guys, I can't talk too much, my phone is hanging. Just please, leave a comment and vote. Thank you❣️

When Halima swung the gate open, she marveled at the two cars parked inside the gated compound. She wondered which one if her mother's family had come to visit. She looked some more and saw two men in Black suits sitting in the second car. Hee heart rate doubled so she snuck by them as though they had not seen her, walked to the back of the house.

When she reached the place where a cemented part of the backyard started, she took of her heeled slippers and began to tiptoe. She didn't want her mother to know she was around.

"What you're trying to tell me now is, once she's sixteen and has finished secondary school, she'll have to go to England to finish her education?" Halima watched from the window as the man nodded. Halima gasped at the resemblance between the man and Safeenah. She added two and two together. And she reared back in surprise.

He was a well known business man with a shrew for a wife. She ruled his house with a tight fist. No Wonder he was feared for Safeenah.

"So, your daughter is marrying Jamal Abubakar. He is a level headed boy. Knows his worth. And your daughter too, good girl. I see she's very kind. You raised a good one." Halima could see that he was just talking. He wanted to talk about other things but could not.

"Alhamdulillahi for the both of them." Halima heard her mother reply. She sighed and Uthmanu Hassan got up, adjusted his Kaftan and began to walk out of the house. Halima knew at that point that life didn't always turn out the way people imagined it, there were always obstacles on the way to love or greatness.

When the cars drove out of the compound, Halima got up, dusted her knees and walked inside. She met her mother sitting with her legs curled by herself.

"Mum." Her mother visibly shook. "Sadiyya. You're home?" Halima knew at that point that she had to shut what she had seen in her mind. So she smiled and said she just came in.

She went to the kitchen, carried the small sack she had forgotten and left the house with a heavy heart.

******
July 9

"But I'm sorry. Do you want to make me go mad here? I'm worried." Halima sighed and took the phone off her ear.

"What do you think you have done?" She heard him exhale sharply then began to speak.  "I'll list them: I throw money around too much, I don't like to listen to suggestions, I try to control my environment and the people in it. That's all." Halima chuckled.

"That's all for now." She placed emphasis on the now. "You need to apologise to your father, I know he was wrong. You know as a Muslim, a second marriage is halal. So, you have to apologise and take responsibility for your actions. Two, you'll inform your mother too. Tell her exactly what you did, that's if she doesn't know by now. Apologise for making your father incensed and him taking his anger out on her. That should be all." She finished.

"That's simple. It's just the fact that my dad would try to take that brat as his wife. And she's so young too." Halima sighed. No one could fault Jamal's actions, but, he had overdone it.

"Its fine. Just do as I said and everything should be fine. Okay?" She ended the call after they had talked about nearly everything.

As she turned her computer back on, a knock sounded at her door. She asked the person to come in but continued to input the password fo her computer. It was Kemi and Summayah.

"To what do I owe the honor? See the newest atelier in town and the CFO to one of the biggest companies in Nigeria." They both giggled and took seats in front of Halima. Kemi's shop had become so popular almost overnight. She was sought after to make bridal dresses and normal day wear.

They both made a show of accepting her words without blushing. "Thank you Hair stylist Halima." Halima laughed out loud at Kemi's words. Then they sobered up to talk to one another.

"We've found a lawyer." Halima's eyes widened and she whooped. "Who?" Summayah eyed Kemi, making Kemi laugh.

"They're two actually. Two women. They were both on the case between Daren Bukola and that pastor last year. Remember he was sentenced to life imprisonment?" Halima nodded.

"They're the ones." Halima remembered them clearly. The case was popular because two Muslim Hausa women represented a Christian Yoruba woman in court and they won.

"How did you do it?" Halima asked incredulously. "Well, my dad's lawyer just made a phone call and they said they would take you on." Halima nodded with her hands on her mouth. She was stunned.

"So when are we seeing them?" Summayah thought for a second before she replied. "Tomorrow. Before Jumaah prayers. How's eleven? I'll pick you both at ten."

Halima and Kemi nodded thoughtfully. Each of them thinking how much they'd have to relieve to the lawyers.

"But right now, you both have come at a time I have to go out." She went to the mirror in her office and unpinned her hijab, allowed the material to fall to her neck and she unpacked her hair, she packed it again while Kemi and Summayah watched her.

"Where are you going?" Halima grimaced. "I'm going to see Maman Aminu. Her husband beat her again, she sprained her foot. So I'm taking some food to her. She's also helping me with my gyran jiki." Summayah offered to drive her.

"On our way there we'll buy some stuff for her children. I remember they were three?" Halima nodded as she grabbed her bag from the table, went to the back of the door and carried the sack.

"Invitations all distributed?" Summayah inquired as they bade Halima's employees goodbye.

"Not yet. My mother says, she'll hand it to the rest of them when they come this weekend to see the lefe." Kemi hooted as Summayah started the engine of her car from her vantage position in the passenger seat.

"What is your problem?" Halima laughingly asked. "We'll, you get to wear the very beautiful clothes I have sewed for you. I must say, I outdid myself. That's for sure." Halima's eyes misted with grateful tears and she squeezed Kemi's hands.

"Thank you both for everything." They both turned to look at her with stern faces making her chuckle.

When they drove into the street where Maman Aminu lived on, Kemi said "That pretty lady stays here?" Halima shrugged as Summayah drove carefully, avoiding potholes on her way.

They parked and this time, Aminu and his siblings were not outside. The two youngest were peeking from behind the bedraggled curtain shielding the inside from outside scrutiny.

"Assalamualaikum." Halima greeted when she took hold of the curtain. At least it was clean if threadbare.

"Walaikum Salam." Aminu greeted back from the door of the kitchen. He had flour dust all over his fae and arms.

"Where is your mother?" She asked. Fearing the reply. "In the room." Halima lifted her skirt a bit and crossed to the room.

"Maman Aminu?" She knocked on the door, she heard some hobbling and soon, the door opened.

"Ah. Ma." Halima gasped at her appearance. She had cuts all over her face, her eyes were swollen, ghe under of her eyes were puffy. Her nose was looking in an awkward angle that made Halima scream for Summayah.

"We need to tske her to the hospital."