Jariyah Et Maryam

So I want to welcome the new readers. Thank you so much for 75k reads. I'm grateful 💙♥️. Also please don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT. THANK YOU!

"Family of Mrs Abubakar?" They all scrambled up from their positions. Farida had been lying on Halima's laps, sitting on the floor. The kids were at home.

"A representative should follow me." Jamal waved all of them up and they followed the doctors. When they got a lounge like consultation room, they all sat and waited.

"Your mother had a mini heart attack." They all gasped. Farida began to sob loudly. The doctor speaking waited for quietness to reign while Halima patted Farida's back till she quietened.

"Would she need a heart transplant?" The doctor shook his head at Jamal's question. "Not for now. She's stable. For now." He stressed. "She doesn't need the stress her body is going through, her blood pressure is too high. Way too high for her age and we're very worried." They all nodded, Jamal sighed and asked what they had to do.

"She needs lots of rest, take away things that stress her, she needs a whole new routine; nutrition, exercise and sleep. This attack is her body's wiring telling her it won't take stress anymore. Next time, it will be a partial stroke." They all nodded, hearts in their mouth. Understanding the situation quite clearly.

"Please help my mom. Please I don't want to lose her, please!" Farida cried bitterly and Halima had to hold her firmly so she would not fall. The speaking doctor pursed his lips as though she was a stressing child.

"We'll do our very best." The doctors nodded, one closed the flap of the file he carried and they walked out of the room.

"It's Baba. He's the one who caused it. Especially when that stupid girl came back again." Farida hid her face in her scarf and cried so hard, it pulled at Halima's heartstrings who held her and was patting her back.

"What are we going to do now? This is not the time to apportion blame. Now's the time to ensure our mother gets well." Jamal stated and they all nodded.

"Well, for one, she could move in with us, we have space." Halima offered. "No! Let her go to aunt's place in dover. I don't want her within his reach." Summayah refused angrily.  Dover was far away in the United Kingdom, so they nodded. Understanding the need.

"Fari! Stop crying. Go and see all that they're giving her. Use your knowledge as a medical student." Farida nodded and rested on Halima who was looking up at Jamal. She wiped her eyes and leaned back on her chair.

"Summayah, call Maryam and tell her to get the girls to the house. As soon as possible. Ask her to pack all their things and tell one of the drivers to take her home. I want my girls at home." Halima blinked and leaned back to watch Jamal. He was hurt and heartbroken by his father's actions. However indirect, he had a hand.

*****

Jamal sighed and took of his cap as he sat down on the couch beside Halima. It had been a long day of waiting for his mother to wake up and she finally awoke at around after Magrib prayers.

"Alhamdulillah for today." He echoed her and put his hand on his face. "I'm sorry. We planned the day and it turned out to be a mess." She raised her head from the head of the couch and looked at his face.

"Mummy fainting was not a mess." She answered him matter-of-factly. "I know. I just meant the way things turned out. My father's misplaced behaviour." Halima sighed and leaned back in the couch.

"I don't even know what to say." He hissed and got up. Rubbing his clean shaven head. "It's been like this all our lives. He has always been so non-chalant about her, about us. He didn't care, he has never cared. Always used business as a cover. As a child, I didn't understand what was going on. Now, I do. He's never loved her, never actually cared about her. But she's always put her life on hold for him. Every single time." Halima sighed but didn't speak. Jamal was opening up to her on a different level and she wanted to hear it all.

"When he fell sick, she stopped other things and took proper care of him, personally nursed him back to good health." He turned to her. "I promise you, I'd never break your heart. I know, it's a little hard to believe me considering all that you've seen, but trust me with your heart. I will not, by Allah's grace, make you cry." Halima nodded gruffly. Tears had clogged her throat and she had to clear it before she spoke.

"I believe you." She patted his hand that rested between them and he in turn held hers. A moment passed between them and in a split decision  making moment, she shifted and laid her head on his broad shoulder.

The door opened and in came Jariyah, Lubna and their nanny Maryam who was looking as sheepish as possible. The children skipped over to Halima and she put out her arms to hug them. "Umma!" Lubna had more excitement and hugged Halima even more than Jariyah who was obviously fuming at something.

Jamal however wasn't so welcoming. He focused his attention on the sheepish looking Maryam.

"Why are you getting here at this hour?" She gasped but didn't talk. She bowed her head and Halima had to rub Jamal's hand to stop him from getting angry. She knew what was coming.

"When did Summayah call you?" Halima looked at Jariyah's face, she had a funny look on that bordered on irritation and 'you-have-been-caught-now'. Halima knew she knew something.

"Around two pm sir." Jamal chuckled evily and asked why they didn't leave immediately. Maryam raised her eyes and stared straight at Jamal. He hissed, took his cap, glasses and walked out of the small living room where they were sitting.

"Maryam. Where were you people." Halima put down her head to listen to what Lubna was saying and so didn't see what she did. Jariyah bared her teeth at Maryam and walked out in the same fashion as her father.

******

"Jary? You're supposed to be sleeping?" Jariyah swung unto the bench that was at the foot of Halima's bed.

"Why are you not sleeping with Daddy? Laaibah at school says that her parents sleep together, they even kiss each other." Halima couldn't speak. She was too surprised. She beckoned her over and Jariyah scrambled into her arms.

"Your daddy and I would take our time. Okay?" She felt the little girl nod in her bosom.

"So, why did you come late?" Jariyah raised herself up and laid back om the bed, out of Halima's arms.

"She refused to bring us oo. She said she would come when Daddy returns. And I warned her." Halima cocked her head. Why was Maryam trying to flout authority?

"I don't want Anty Maryam as our nanny again. Never." Halima leaned and rested her hands on the bed.

"Why?" Jariyah rolled her eyes. Halima cut a look and she sent her Umma an apologetic look before speaking.

"Umma," She whined, trying to make Halima soften towards her. "I heard her telling her friend on the phone that Daddy had better do a big wedding for she too when they get married. That if Daddy married you, he should marry her too." Halima's mouth dropped open at Jariyah's revelation.

"Will you tell Daddy?" Jariyah asked. Halima swallowed and shook her head. Jariyah made her face into mask and said. "If you don't tell him, I will." Then she scrambled up again and ran out as she came. 

******

So, what do we think? Maryam leaves or not? Because she seems pretty harmless to me. 🤷🏽‍♀️

We'll update soon, based on votes and comments. So, please go back and leave a comment on your favorite part of the chapter. I'll be glad you did.

So, see you people soon. Ciao!

TheOmoope ❣️