Lawyering Up

Please, I beg you. Vote and comment. God bless you. ❣️

When they drove into a part of Gwarimpa, Jamal drove into a small park-like area that held the restaurant. Halima looked at the scenery around her in amazement. She wondered how they watered the flowers and kept them in bloom.

"This place is beautiful daddy."Jariyah said in wonder, Jamal nodded in agreement and swung the car into the parking lot. The sign read 'Ummi's Treats'. Halima tested the name in her head, it was a classic.

"We're here." He began as he turned off the ignition. "Salim told me about this place a month ago but I completely forgot about it until yesterday night." Halima smiled sheepishly at Jamal, she had no idea how anyone could explain himself so much to the ones he loved. She was not used to it.

"It's beautiful. Let's go in."She replied sheepishly.  Jamal opened the door for Jariyah and Lubna. Halima got down from the family sedan and adjusted her pale pink gown and the black scarf she had worn hastily over it in the morning. She found herself picking out the dress Kemi had made as a sample. It was a little dressy but she knew she had to make an effort.

Jariyah stood back to carry Halima's handbag and hold unto Halima's arm. "How are you Jary?" Halima asked Jariyah as they walked the winding footpath into the restaurant. Jary sighed dramatically and Halima stopped to crouch before her.

"What is it?" Jariyah sighed dramatically again. Halima goggled. "What is wrong with you Jariyah?"

"I don't know what to wear to you and Daddy's wedding." Halima sighed and held her chest. Jariyah had Summayah's theatric tendencies.

"Grandma isn't helping?" Jariyah rolled her eyes and played with the strap of Halima's bag.

"She said you had to choose colors first. And I said we need to order on time so the dress doesn't come late. I also want to wear a princess dress. You know, like Princess Jasmine." Halima let a smile bloom on her face as she pulled Jariyah into a hug.

"We'll be having three events. You'll wear various things. You'll even forget some." She felt Jariyah shake her head.

"I can't forget it. I'll always have that day here." She tapped the side of her head. "Its the day I officially get to call you Mummy. How could I forget?" Halima felt tears well up in her eyes.

"I'm thankful for the miracle that you are." She felt herself nod in agreement with her own statement to affirm it. Jariyah clutched Halima's dress as she hugged her.

"I love you." The tears that had welled up fell. Halima knew nothing would beat the moment for her. She just knew it.

So as she wiped her tears and they walked in, she agreed in her mind to make herself as happy as possible and never to let the world dictate what hee happiness should be.

******

"Sannu Da Zuwa."

Summayah spoke immediately Jamal shut the door behind him. Jamal tiredly replied her and dropped his suitcase on the sofa and sank down beside it.

"How are the girls?" He asked while he raised his hands to take off his cufflinks. "They're fine. Aslewp already." Summayah answered as she changed the channel on the wide television.

"Jamal," She started when she got to her favorite show. 'The Kitchen' on food Network. She muted the show to talk to Jamal.

"Maryam cried as she left today. And Jariyah told me she cries like that all the time. Secretly, but you know Jariyah, nothing gets past her." She watched Jamal nod and get up to shrug out of his three piece suit jacket.