The Public Relations Officer

Please, Comment and Vote. It takes just click at the end of the chapter and just your thoughts as comment. I'll be glad you did. Thank you in advance.

"Jariyah! Get down here now!"

Halima shouted and smiled when she felt a sense of deja vú, knowing that Jariyah would not come downstairs until she was done so she sat in one of the living room chairs and waited.

A few minutes later, footsteps sounded at the top of stairs and began to descend. Halima turned and saw the ballet like shoes and grey tutu skirt and like color pop socks that Jariyah was wearing. She stopped at the end of the stairs and asked "How do i look?"

Halima smiled wider, Jariyah looked so much like Jamal in that moment. His playfulness shone on her face like oil. Halima put out her hands and Jariyah ran into her arms and stayed there, disturbing Lubna who was sleeping on the sofa.

"I'm so happy you're my umma. I know my mama is in heaven watching over us, but you as my umma is perfect." She said the perfect with a kiss on Halima's cheek. Halima rocked the girl in her arms, the happiness in her could not be quantified.

Halima slowly eased Jariyah out of her arms to look at her face. "We're going to my shop. Then, we'll come back home. I want you to watch over your sister very carefully. Don't leave my office for any reason, that's why you have your iPads, watch cartoons, play games but do not leave my office. There are bad people in the world who want to take advantage of little girls." Jariyah nodded solemnly as though she understood. Halima patted her shoulder and tried to get up.

Jariyah suddenly hugged her again, this time it was Jariyah who was doing the patting. She rubbed Halima's back over and over, before cupping her face and kissing her cheeks. Halima blushed and asked what the occasion was.

"Daddy said I should take extra care of you. Watch out for people asking questions, he said I should not open the door without you. Because you're taking bad people to court." Halima only nodded, tears filled her eyes in appreciation for Jamal's tact. Now she no longer wondered why she saw Jariyah taking photos of a suspicious car when they were driving Mummy to yhe airport the previous day.

"Don't worry. They will be put in prison!" Halima laughed out loud and hugged Jariyah to herself so warmly that she could hear Jariyah swallowing.

*******

"Why do you think so?"

Maman Aminu sighed and said she just knew she would not come back to work. "So I'm just supposed to employ some other person?" Halima asked in annoyance.

"He says it's because I work that he beats me, so I thought I could work on my marriage by not working." Halima sighed at the resignation in her employee's voice. She knew this shady thing her husband was trying to do. He'd take away the only independence she had ever known and put her in chains, again.

"Who advised you." Halima leaned forward and took her pens out of the pen holder before handing the holder to Lubna to play with. "My elder sister. She lives in maiduguri." Halima sighed again. "If that is what you want, why not. Come and get your severance package next week." The woman said her thanks and Halima ended the call. She leaned back in her chair, hands clasped over her face.

There were two things involved; either Aminu's father really wanted to change or he just wanted to make sure he could control his wife. Its was one of the two. Halima thanked Allah for giving her quick thinking to ask her to come for her severance package even though she had none. That way, she would have some money to tide her over for a while.

She stayed that way till she felt warm breaths on her neck. Startled, she took her hands off her face to see Jariyah's worried face. "Are you okay, Umma?" Halima relaxed visibly and nodded with an exhale. The conversation had taken a little toll on her emotions and she was suddenly tired, all the happiness she came to work with had dissipated.

"I'm fine. Ask your sister what you both want for lunch." Jariyah nodded and went to her sister and Halima observed as they had a quiet whispering conversation which involved Lubna nodding and Jariyah patting her head.

"We want Ummi's treats pineapple Jollof rice and cake parfaits for deserts." Halima nodded and lifted her phone to make the order.

********
"What do you think of the court case? And the manner with which they made their point?" The newscaster asked the army's spokesperson. He was sitting in their Abuja studio while she was in Lagos. Halima had been told by Hafsah and Hajarah to watch the news at ten.

"Well, I salute their courage. They behaved like women do, always rash. Seeing as they're women anyways." He waved his hands, his face stern as he continued. "In this sort of case, you settle out of court. Its the best sort. Imagine it coming out later that you lied against an officer of the federal republic. It's going to be disastrous for any woman's reputation. Even taking him to court is damaging enough." The news caster shut her eyes for a moment and opened it a beat later. She was obviously disgusted by what he was saying. The blatant blindness that he was exhibiting. Halima was not surprised, she was just weak with anger. She had been warned to expect this. She knew they would try to bring down her strength by chipping at it with weighty wicked words.

"You're implying that four women are lying? And the three others on social media that have corroborated the story and added their voices?" The man nodded confidently.

"I've seen cases like this befire and I'm happy to say that we've quashed them many times and we're not afraid to do the same to this one. Captain Muhsin and his brothers are respected officers of the law and we will not stand for any stain to their reputation."

The television suddenly went off and Halima felt herself being hugged by strong arms. "I'm sorry." She nodded and leaned back against Jamal's arms, grateful for his tact. She reveled in the comforting scent of his shampoo and night cream.

"Not everyone will believe you, you must accept that.  But you're not allowed to break when it's time to tell the truth. If anything, straighten up and be strong. Also know that I am here for you. Anytime." She sighed and whispered "I know. Thank you."

She raised a hand and patted the arm he wound around her. "Thankful for you is what I am." Jamal chuckled and came around the chair to sit with her.

"Want to stay with me tonight? I am good company." Halima laughed in spite of herself and pushed out her feet to rest on the coffee table. Then, she shifted and eyed his frame. He was absolutely beautiful.

"Well, staying with you has its consequences. Are you ready?" His eyes flitted up and down her own body before he nodded briefly. Halima chuckled but decided to tease him. "Sure?" She asked saucily.

"I've never been surer of anything." Halima's laughter echoed as he climbed the stairs with her petite body in his arms.

*********

Heyo guys, how are you all doing? Fine i hope? Please accept this short chapter like that, I've been real busy since the relaxation of the lockdown.

So, what did you make of the chapter? Nice? Writing it made me dizzy with excitement 😛😂😂 I hope you liked it.

See y'all soon.

TheOmoope ❣️