Catching The Bride or Not?

Special thanks to TeemahGujbawu, AeshaKabir and every wattpad banters girl (old or new). You all rock!

Please comment ❣️

August 9th.

When Halima Sadiyya Aliyu woke up at four am, she wondered where she was, then she remembered that her mother had made her give up her room to the older relatives who could not sleep in the motel they had rented for guests behind their house. She was sleeping in her mother's room till the wedding was over.

She got up quietly, not wanting to wake Safeenah who was fast asleep with her mouth open, drooling. She walked to the bathroom as quietly as the carpet would allow, fetched some water into her ablution kettle, and began to perform ablution.

When she walked back to the room, she found her phone's light on and walked a little faster to it. She pressed the power button and swiped to read the message from Jamal.

'Let's pray together'  She sighed, smiled in the dark and typed that she was ready. She turned on her torch and found her mother's praying mat, she went to the corner behind the door and spread it there.

After praying Nawafils. She raised her hands to the heavens and made a sincere dua.

Ya Allah, bless our marriage and let it be a means for us to become closer to You in love and devotion. Ya Allah, let our marriage bring untold blessings to us individually, to our families and our children. Ya Allah, bless us with children who will be a source of great joy and happiness, Amen.

Afterwards, she swiped on her phone for a Quran app and began to recite some verses. Some forty minutes later, the whole house began to bustle in time for Subh prayers and Halima got up, performed another ablution and began to pray Subh with a sleepy Safeenah beside her.

Once she was done, she rolled up the mat and fell right asleep, Safeenah curled up in her arms.

Four hours later, around past nine. The noise from the living room was too great not to wake the two sleepy heads who had both watched a princess movie on Halima's laptop before they fell asleep around past one. Hence the need for more sleep.

A knock at the door, woke Halima completely and she got up, itching at the braids on her head, walked to the door and swung it open. "Amarya." Halima blushed at Kemi's hailing.

Kemi dragged two boxes in, followed by two of Halima's younger cousins bringing a large cloth bag carried between them like a bench. When Kemi dumped the boxes in a corner, she collapsed unto the bed and exhaled loudly. Halima thanked her cousins and latched the door shut the moment they walked out.

"How are you?" She asked Kemi as she poured her a glass of water. Her mother had asked her to put a jug of water for Safeenah who was apparently usd to drinking midnight water. Fortunately, she didn't wake to drink water, so Halima was able to offer Kemi the cup.

"Thank you!" Kemi exclaimed and swallowed all the water in three or four gulps. "Chai. Greeting all your relatives at the door sort of took away all my strength. And girl, I'm fine. I can't wait for the ceremony to start. So we can dance and eat." Halima shook her head at Kemi's antics as she went to the boxes.

"No touching. One of them is white. No touching until you're about to wear abeg." Halima nodded, walked back to the bed and woke Safeenah. Safeenah woke gently, like a baby rabbit forced to arch it's ears.

"So, how do you feel, knowing you're gonna be Mrs Abubakar in days?" Halima rolled her eyes and sat on the bed before she replied, she pulled her knees to her chest and said thoughtfully. "Traditionally, after today's Kamu ceremony, I'm Mrs Abubakar. It's just the later events that make it seem like I have to wait till then." Kemi arched an eyebrow in question.