Being Mrs Abubakar

"Sorry for the short notice but Maryam lost her sister." Halima shook her head at Jamal's mother, stepped into the living room, rolling her small suitcase on the Italian marble floor.

At the stairs, one of the house staff took her suitcase and climbed the stairs with it.

"They're in school right now. You can follow the driver to pick them from school or wait for them. Jariyah will not do Islamiyya today because it's Friday. They'll return by twelve pm." Halima nodded and smiled again.

"I know all these things Mummy." Jamal's mother nodded and then visibly relaxed as she sat in the brown sofa Jariyah always used as her play point, it was colored with markers from Lubna.

"I'm just worried. Why would his cardiologist call all of a sudden. I nearly lost him two years ago and this?" Halima sat at her side and pulled her close, shocking even her own self. But Jamal's mother allowed her to pull her into a hug.

"Its going to be good news. Don't worry too much. We will be praying. Okay?" The older woman nodded in Halima's arms.

"Jamal might come over to check on you all. But he is going to be in Lagos." Halima calculated how'd she'd evade his visits, but, she nodded at his mother and got up.

"When do you both leave?" Jamal's mother looked at her watch and said "In one hour. Bags are all packed."

Halima nodded and climbed the stairs to her room. When she reached the landing, one of the staff directed her to the room prepared for her, she noticed it was no longer the guest room she used to use, it had become the room next to Summayah's. Probably for Farida.

Halima stepped into the room decorated in different shades of green and sat on the sage green comforter in deep thought.

What game was Jamal's mother playing?

*****

A consistent ringing woke Halima at a little past eleven am. She had napped for one hour, so she stretched and got up to pick the phone ringing relentlessly in her bag.

"Salam Summayah." Summayah giggled in her ear making Halima take the phone off her ear in surprise.

"What's wrong with you?" Summayah rolled her eyes before coughing delicately in reply.

"Now, I'm concerned." A yawn slipped past Halima's hands. And she stretched further.

"Why are you sleeping so early in the day?" Halima yawned again, this time loudly.

"I thought of what to tell Salisu's mother all night." Summayah hissed. "What else will you tell her? That you can't do it is an understatement. You cannot even try it is the best thing to say."

Halima sighed. "I told my mom when I returned from the hospital. She said I should do whatever suits me." Summayah hissed again.

"Why would she say so? That's like giving you who is already thinking you're supposed to be beholden to her forever a greenlight. Halima! Use your sense mana. I already told you, if you really want children so badly, marry my brother. At least the children will be healthy and no insults, just love all your life." Halima rolled her eyes. How was Summayah so sure?

"How sure are you Jamal likes me as much as you say?" Summayah cursed at Halima before replying.

"Only a blockhead like you cannot see when a man likes you. I don't blame you, I blame that lying yeye human they forced you to marry. I know it's bad to say ill of the dead but he should be flogged publicly for all he did." Halima laughed softly.

"Weekend plans Summayah?" Summayah tsked slowly into the phone.

"I'm going on a date.  He is mixed, Pakistani Nigerian, an investment banker and I don't expect it to go anywhere, he's a sorta ladies man." Halima's sigh followed the words.