Cake Tasters

Here is another reminder to please VOTE and COMMENT. THANK YOU!!!

"Doctor, please how's she?"

The doctor sighed and opened the door to her wide office and ushered them in tiredly. Halima apologetically walked in hurriedly, trying to err on the side of caution.

"My patient is in fire circumstances. How did she get here?" Halima shook her head, Summayah shuffled her feet, Kemi hissed -yoruba woman style- and the doctor clasped her hands and waited.

"Well, her husband beat her first, she went to his mother's house to report, he came back and beat hee even more as a result." The doctor nodded, wrote some things down, pulled out a prescription paper wrote some drugs on it and handed it to Kemi who was sitting close to her.

"Buy her this drugs and give them to the nurse on duty. We don't have this drugs in our pharmacy. One of her ribs broke and punctured her left lung. We'll have an x-ray for that. I will update you as time goes on." The doctor got up and walked out of her office, at the threshold, she walked back and said.

"We cannot keep quiet. We will prosecute the abuser. We have informed the police already. An officer will be here shortly." Halima's heart lost a beat. She wondered briefly if Aminu's mother would like that move. Many women didn't like their husbands arrested after abuse.

"Thank you for that move." Summayah's words calmed Halima's heart and so they shuffled out of the doctor's office and walked back to the waiting area.

"Aminu." Halima called when she reached the little kids. "Your mom will be fine." Aminu nodded bravely but tears filled his eyes.

*****

July 10

"Madam, come out oo. I am waiting." Halima quickly grabbed the bottle of fruit juice hee mother had made for her and shut the door behind herself.

Safeenah and her mother were resting in time for Jummah prayers later in the day. Halima jogged lightly to the gate and opened the door to an alien red Mercedes that Summayah was sitting in.

"Assalamualaikum. Jummah Mubarak." She greeted Summayah and sat in the passenger seat beside her.

"Walaikum Salam Bestie." Summayah pushed the keyfob into a space and the car started. She drove carefully on the uneven road. "Who's car is this?" Halima asked.

"Jamal's first baby." They both laughed, it was an inside joke that Jamal loved his cars after himself and Allah. He used to say that he loved his cars and Allah. No one came second.

"So, how are you feeling? This is an important day." Halima sighed and played with her manicured fingers. They were well filed and cut into little moon shapes.

"I'm fine. Finding resources in me to be excited to my wedding. And to deal with a trauma. It's not going to be easy, but I'll get better. That's for sure." Summayah sighed but didn't speak anymore.

As they rolled into the carpark of an office complex in Maitama, they met Kemi paying a cab driver. Summayah opened a door for her at the central lock and Kemi got in. They all greeted and drove further into the underground car-park.

"Girls." Summayah began when she parked ans the key fob was ejected. "Today, I'm not only your girlfriend. I'm your sister. I'm your confidant. I believe your truth. I believe in your strength." Halima sighed and shifted in her seat.

It was Kemi who replied for them. "Thank you Summy. It's a blessing to have you on our side." Summayah nodded and they all got out of the car. They simultaneously adjusted their clothes. Kemi checked her lip gloss and changed the eay she was carrying her bag.