A Girl has a new name

Hi guys,

Please comment. This is the longest chapter I've ever updated in my entire writing career, so please bombard it with comments.

August 10th

Halima rolled over in bed and groaned when she felt pain in her calves. She and her cousins and other family members had danced their hearts out at the ceremonies held the previous day. So much that when she was about to sleep, her mother had to force her to sleep with a glass of warm milk and painkillers due to too much excitement.

She rolled over again and felt something or someone at her feet. She looked over and saw Safeenah sitting there with a plate of cookies and tea. She got up slowly and asked Safeenah how long she had been waiting.

"Just ten minutes. Mama said you shouldn't eat too much this morning. That after your husband leaves, she'll send you Jollof rice and fried meat." Halima chuckled and took the tray from the girl to set it carefully on the bed.

She remembered yesterday afternoon after the Kamu ceremony and she had come inside to cahnge into the Saki fabric that she would use for the Budun Kai. She left four gold bracelets on her mother's dresser. Granted, it was a mistake, but she was too excited from the proceedings of the Kamu that she forgot to keep it inside the safe.

Someone had seen it, taken it and much later when she and Kemi were shaking out outfits and jewelry, they didn't find it. They searched everywhere and everyone said they had not seen it.

Then, Safeenah came and shouted from the living room that she saw the thief who stole the bracelets. Whether she was bluffing or not, no one knew, Halima just remembered that the bracelets fell out and were scattered at the door to her mother's room. The incident further endeared Safeenah to Halima because she had no idea what she'd have done if the bracelets remained stolen.

"Do you want some? I certainly can't finish it all." Safeenah nodded eagerly and picked one chocolate chip cookie and bit into it eagerly. A knock sounded at the door and Safeenah came to the bathroom to ask if she should open the door.

"If it's Kemi, mummy or Hajjo open. Anyone else, ask them what they want before you open." They could not afford another event like yesterday's. Halima continued to brush her teeth and await the person.

When she got back into the room, it was Kemi.

Kemi was carrying an elaborate box in one hand and a cloth bag in another. Halima giddily hugged her friend. She loved both clothes and could not wait to wear them. She picked out a purple jilbab to wear after bathing and went to get the bathing mix that Maman Aminu had made for her.

About fifteen minutes later, she was done and after wearing a dry pair of slippers, she walked to the nearest socket in the room and plugged in her hair dryer. Kemi was laying out the clothes she would wear to take new couple pictures with Jamal. She had requested for the style not to be overly dramatic.

Once her hair was dry, she went to her mother's dresser and pulled out a small bag from underneath, took out two containers and mixed the contents into her hair. A rose scent wafted from her hair and hands making Kemi ask, "When are you making that product for the rest of us to buy?" Halima giggled and turned on the stool to face Kemi.

"I'll make you one if you want. I'm not selling any of my products for now. I'm still finding things that can work or not." She got up to use her phone when Kemi did not reply. She had not expected her to. Kemi and Summayah had been on her case to mass-produce her products, she always refused with one excuse or the other.

She called Summayah whom she had not seen properly in days. "Sadiyya. How far?" Halima glanced up at the wall clock, it was a little past ten.

"I dey oo. You?" Summayah squealed. Then replied in a rush. "The guys are leaving for the mosque very soon. I'll call you once I can arrange for pictures for you to see."