Halima's Anger

Please VOTE and COMMENT.

July 15

"Hello?"

Halima gasped out loud when Kemi's wailing came to her over the phone. She scrambled up from the bed and ran to wash her face as Kemi cut the call immediately after speaking.

Just as she pulled a brown long sleeved bubu over her head and as she picked out a black scarf, her phone rang. She walked to where some of her lefe boxes were stacked over one another and picked the phone to put on her ear.

"Summayah?" Summayah sighed.

"Did you hear what happened to Kemi?" Summayah answered lowly that she was already driving there. Halima asked her to call the moment she reached Kemi.

As she picked her handbag and slung it over her shoulder, she remembered an Aaila lip gloss she bought over the weekend and rushed to put it in her bag. Then she crept out of the house so as not to wake anyone, her father had returned from his trip the previous night.

At the gate, she ordered an Uber and waited inside till the driver called her that he was around and when she got into the cab, she silently prayed that things would not be as bad, because it would break Kemi even further.

"We're here ma'am." Halima nodded, paid the driver and waved at him as she shut the door. He had been silent throughout the trip. He seemed to know that she wanted to just be by herself.

Immediately she crossed the road into Kemi's complex, Halima raised her hands and put them on her covered head in sadness. She couldn't even speak. She could only mutter Allah's name as she walked into the building.

At the steps, she met some policemen talking to a security guard who was visibly shaking. Halima greeted them in surprise and climbed the stairs.

When she reached the store, Kemi was crying silently, casually lying on Summayah's arm as she spoke to another set of policemen. One of them shut his notebook and sighed.

"Ma'am. We will find those who did it. Don't fear. We can see that this is a case of pure target and we will get to the bottom of this. Don't fret." Kemi nodded and some more tears spilled from her eyes.

"Halima. I'm done for. I am done for." Halima went to her friend and put out her hands to hug her. Kemi went in willingly, sobbing painfully. Halima's heart hurt at the broken sounds Kemi was making.

Kemi got out of  Halima's embrace and walked to a side mannequin. The dress was formerly a white iro gown. It was ripped to pieces in the middle. Kemi held the gown and cried bitterly.

Summayah was the one who reached Kemi first. She pulled Kemi off the shredded clothes and walked her back to the chair. "Where did they get the material of the cloth?" She asked palming Kemi's back to calm her. Trust Summayah to find solutions immediately.

"I don't know. But I can ask my mother to go to idumota in Lagos for me today." Summayah bit her lip in concentration. "Let her go. I know someone who is coming to Abuja tomorrow. We'll ask them to bring it. Don't worry too much." Kemi nodded sadly and sank into chair in despair.

Halima got up, folded the arms of her blouse and began picking the shattered glass, Summayah found a broom and dustpan and swept all the smaller glass pieces.

"Let me call the glass company. They promised to change any section of the glass that broke before six months. I just spent two months." Kemi's tearfilled voice reached them. Summayah got up, dusted her hands and walked to squat in front of Kemi.

"Go make all those calls, rest and get ready to sew till you drop. Because I know the owner of that dress would be dreaming of wearing it already, let's not disappoint them." Kemi nodded and walked into the backroom.