The Incident

Hi guys,

Uhm, I didn't think I'd have to do this but please leave a comment and vote at the end of the chapter. It would really make my day. Leave comments. Not just 'thanks for the update' comments, tell me exactly how you feel. God bless you.

Jamal didn't know how he got out of his seat, but he remembered running up the stairs with Halima in his arms and thinking Halima had some secrets.

Summayah opened her room door for him before he got there, pulled down her covers and immediately he carefully placed her on her bed, she awoke. He immediately backed out of the door, allowing Mummy to come in through the same door.

"Ya Allah." Summayah pulled Halima to herself in relief. She had no idea the last time she was that scared.

"Are you fine?" Summayah raised two fingers and asked Halima how many fingers she was seeing. Halima swiped her fingers down and allowed a tear to run down her cheek.

"Why are you crying? You just woke up from a faint. We can't even ascertain yet if you don't have a concussion." Halima hissed and tried to get up from between the covers.

"I'm sorry. I really didn't think they still had that much impact on my body." Summayah pushed her back between her covers and shook a finger in Halima's face.

"What could have prompted such a reaction?-" Seeing Halima's face, she lowered her voice. "You owe it to me since I was marrying him. Since I considered him a partner. I think I deserve to know." Halima still didn't budge until the door opened.

"Halima dear. Are you okay?" Halima nodded and pushed back on her pillows to find a more comfortable position.

"Mummy. Halima doesn't want to tell me anything about Muhsin." Summayah's throaty voice combined with tears clogged in the back of her throat pulled at Halima's heartstrings. So she took Summayah's hand and asked.

"Do you really want to hear?" Summayah nodded and swallowed the tears she was ready to whip out. There was nothing a little blackmail couldn't solve. 

"Nothing, nothing in this world fazes me anymore. I've lived on Earth a short while but my experiences have turned my hair gray." Her mother scoffed and asked if that was the reason she dyed her hair pink.

"Mummy, I'm an independent young woman. My hair is no longer any of your business." Her mother from where she was perched stoned her with her soft in-house slippers.

"Ah Mummy. When are you going to let go of your violent nature?" She pouted at her mother and held unto Halima's hand.

"I'm waiting."

Halima rocked herself back and forth as the memories washed over her.

"I view the twentieth of November two thousand and eleven as a year that Allah out a bowl of tests in front of me and asked me to sip it all. Astagafurullahi." She chuckled quietly at her own joke. Summayah adjusted herself but couldn't smile because she watched Halima pull files of memories she must have tucked away.

"Like every other morning, I did my chores, made breakfast. You know if I knew stepping out of my father's house would bring me disease and shame, I'd probably have stayed home." She shifted when Summayah began to massage her foot. Summayah got the message and adjusted.

"Muhsin's mother sent me a message the previous night that she wanted ne to come weave her hair and as someone who'd learned from a maiduguri woman, I knew the real definition of weaving tiny plaits. So I braced myself.

I reached their house. Locked the gate behind me. But I noticed something. Everywhere was more silent than usual. Usually, I'd find their mai-guard or  their gardner. But that afternoon, everywhere was quiet. I probably should have taken it as a sign and turned back home, but I shook off my pressing intuition and walked further into the house. That's was when trouble came. Literally."