Aisha and Mustapha's Divorce

Hey guys, I'm so sorry this update is so late. I needed a break from all the bad news we've been hearing these days. Today, I finally felt better and wrote Bound. Let's join our voices in saying a big No to rape. In all directions of our lives, let's deal with rape apologists. It's unfair that we as women have to look over our backs when we walk at night or when we walk on lonely roads, or even in our own houses or places of worship. It's very hard.

Please don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT‼️‼️‼️‼️

"For lack of evidence, for lack of expidient witnesses, this case is hereby confirmed discharged." Halima could only stare in calm surprise as the Judge smirked at them. She was sitting with Kemi, Lahima and two other women who wore niqabs. She finally shut her eyes, feeling the extent of the shock the judgement had brought.

Kemi patted her friend's hands that Halima had left clasped on her own lap. The judge hit the gavel and the court rose as she walked out. The defense lawyers congratulated themselves all smiles, Halima watched with a scowl on her face.

"Let's go. I'll do the press rounds, we will deal with this." Hafsat rounds them up and they woke from their shock and disbelief. Hajarah took them through a back door where Halima and the barristers drivers were waiting, they got in and waited for Hafsat. A few minutes later, she appeared bereft if the press and got into the car and they moved.

When they all reached the conference room in their firm, Kemi finally burst into tears. She sobbed like a baby, only lowering her voice when she felt Halima's arms around her. She raised her head, her eyes were red and tears streamed down her eyes.

"How did this happen? Id this how bad this country has turned? With all that evidence? The case was still struck out due to lack of evidence?" Halima shook her head, Kemi would feel the pangs the most, she had only begun her therapy just after the arraignment and it was intense.

"It will turn out alright. I'm very sure of that fact." Kemi didn't stop crying as she asked Halima with a shake of her head, " When? Halima when?" Halima could not speak, she only sighed.

Hafsat cleared her throat and Halima took her seat, letting Kemi lean against her. "If you have any connections, this is the time to use them. We will pull all strings." She got up from her chair and turned on the computer that reflected on the larger screen.

"We've obtained a copy of the judgement and now, we can find out where we went wrong before going into appeal or re-arraingment. I knew it would be hard, but not like this. They have only fueled me more to work harder. You guys can go home, we'll deal with this." They nodded and got up to leave.

Halima took Kemi's sling over back and wore it over the Abaya she wore to court, she picked her own bag and supported the obviously distraught Kemi out of the firm's offices into the elevator. Kemi gasped for breath once the doors shut and Halima had to hug her closer to let her feel some warmth.

"I just want to die. They raped us so viciously and that judge was smirking at us. Isn't she a woman?" Halima didn't reply her, she knew Kemi was going through a lot. When they reached the parking lot, she helped Kemi into the car and when they settled in, Halima told the driver to drive them to Summayah's apartment.

Her phone rang as the driver inched closer to Wuse and Summayah was crying when she picked. Halima shook her head. "Summy. We're on our way, please stop crying. Okay?" She quickly ended the call and patted Kemi closer.

*****

"Halima, you are quiet."

Halima raised her head up and observed Summayah who just sent Kemi to sleep and was wiping her eyes.

"I'm just wondering if there was logic in our decision to prosecute these people? It seemed so easy then, now, it's so hard." Summayah found her way to sit in front of Halima and crossed one leg beneath her.

"You all made a good decision. From all indications, all the judges were bought off. Don't worry, the barristers know what they're doing. There's no need to question yourself, if we who are your family don't question you, who else matters? Even if we did, who else would matter other than your own self?" Halima sighed and smiled thinly at her best friend. Summayah always knew what to say to make her feel better.

"I just want to sleep, but my girls will be back from school in thirty minutes, I'll just pick them and go home." Summayah patted her and turned on the television.

"Mummy said she wants to see the whole house tomorrow." Halima whipped her head to stare at her friend. "What?" Summayah shrugged and faced the television again.

*********

"My dear."

Halima savored the embrace of her mother in law and let herself relax. Jamal had returned to Abuja from Lagos that morning. That's signaled how serious the matter on ground was.

Halima found a seat beside Summayah and sat between her and Jamal, Farida was on the other side of Summayah. She looked round the buzzing room, a set of people who looked exactly like mummy sat in one line, Jamal's father's family sat in another line in the spacious living room.

"Asalam Alaykum." The whole room replied the Salam with a coordinated voice. The person who had spoken was Mummy's uncle. Apparently, her family was very influential and they treated their girls well too, gathering from all Halima had seen.

"We've come today on the invite of Mustapha and Aisha. Aisha here, our daughter says she's tired of your son and frankly, we agree with her. It's been far too long. Do you have anything to say?"

Jamal's eldest uncle got up and adjusted his Babban Riga before speaking, he even cleared his throat for greater reward. Summayah whispered to Halima that his wife was owing mummy more than two million naira, Halima had to bite her lips to hold in the giggle that followed the Hausa proverb that Summayah backed up her words with.

"Aisha can do whatever she wants, abi Mustapha?" Halima's mouth dropped, and she turned to look at the person in question. Jamal's father sat there pressing his tab as though they didn't convene the meeting together. His name was called and he got up to end a nearly forty year marriage with his wife.

The other children didn't even flinch, they and the rest of their mother's family filed out of the living room some minutes later as though the marriage of their daughter and mother was not the one they came to break. They greeted each other outside and piled into different rolls royces and Cadillacs in the car park.

Halima could only turn to Mummy when the G-wagon Jamal was driving left the compound to ask, "Who exactly are you?"

Mummy's only reply was a hearty chuckle.

****

How was it? I know, a little filler like. I'll do better next time 😩😶

So, I want to specially say an enormous thank you to all those who sent me amazing messages about Bound. I cannot thank you all enough. God bless you all.

All, thank you so much for 100k reads😭😩😩😩😩😩😭😭😭😭😭 I can't think yet. Y'all will get a 100k chapter soon. I promise.

See y'all soon,

TheOmoope ❣️