Chapter 24: The Old Chase

Start from the beginning

The next morning was worse than today, I had no motivation to learn the new plays. Everyone was lined up ready to start, and I was more focused on my life problems. Usually football helped me take my mind off of everything, but this time I wanted nothing to do with the sport. Coach blew his whistle, which led us all to scramble. I sprinted away from the defense as quick as I could, waiting for Julian to pass the ball. 

From the corner of my eye, I could see Mr. Addeo and his son that I had recently grew to despise. Why was he even here? My fist clenched at the mere thought of him and Ava together. I wondered if he knew about his father's snake actions, along with his sisters. He had to have figured it out by now. 

"Chase!" Darnell warned.

Before I knew it, the football I had been waiting on had been pelted straight to my helmet. This entire situation was screwing with my head. I grabbed the football, shoved it into the nearest guy and walked off fuming. 

"Myers, get your ass over here now." Our head coach, Tyson,  hollered at me.

I walked back to coach hoping I wouldn't get in too much trouble for my sudden outburst. As I reached him, he put his arm around my shoulder and walked me away from the field. I was waiting for my punishment but it never came. 

"They got you, didn't they?" Coach asked me, briefly glancing at Mr. Addeo.

It took me a second to realize what he was talking about. Maybe this was a trick they had set up for me to fail. "I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I'm just a bit stressed."

He laughed slightly, and led me to the tunnel we come out of before games. His smile wiped off as soon as we were alone. "Don't lie to me, I know they tricked you about the contract."

My mouth gaped open, how the hell did he know? I stayed silent, not really knowing how to respond. Coach took one look at my face and threw his hat off his head in frustration, he muttered a string of curse words. Was I not the first person to fall for this? 

"They told me they were done with this... How could you have fallen for it?" 

I looked down guiltily, "I got blindsided by the glitz and glamour of it all. Coach, they're gonna ruin my girls' life if they find out you know."

"I'm very familiar with their threats, you aren't the first person that family has tricked." 

I knew it. When her friends were around us last night, and they didn't even care that we had spoken about the supposed contract, I knew something was up. My suspicions were correct. The only question now was, how many more people were victims?

"What are they even gaining from this?" I asked confused.

He bitterly laughed, "They'll earn almost sixty-five percent commission from every check you'll make in the NFL. That's how they have so much money son."

Anger rushed over my body, knowing I would be their pawn for the rest of my life. Mr. Addeo might've said it was for a short time, but I was almost positive the contract said something else. How could I have been so reckless? I needed a copy of that contract.

"About how many more guys are there?" I asked.

"Almost a dozen. There are women too, the Addeo's look for upcoming celebrities and end up manipulating them. Not a single member of that family is with anyone for pure intentions, they only view people as money making machines."

Fuck, Beck had Ava wrapped around his finger. Knowing how Ava saw the best in people, she would be completely blind to his motives. I shook my head not being able to deal with this any longer. I began to walk off towards my car, ready to confront her. However, Coach Tyson stopped me before I could get anywhere.