Chapter 35: Small Town Miracles

After driving for hours, we had stopped in some deserted town for a quick bite to eat and to refill on gas

 After driving for hours, we had stopped in some deserted town for a quick bite to eat and to refill on gas. Beck had been asleep the entire time while we ate in silence, occasionally getting updates from our friends who were just an hour behind us. I had made sure to leave my phone on silent and in the car just because today's events had left me without any more words to say. I knew it was selfish but I was glad Julian understood. He did all the talking and tried to make light of the situation. 

We kept getting lucky today because a man behind us overheard Julian and I's hushed whispers over Beck's probability of living. The man told us he was a doctor and told us he could check on Beck and perhaps give him under the counter antibiotics. We obviously were extremely weirded out but somehow it was the most normal thing today. So we let him take Beck to a motel room right next to the diner. He promised he would come back as soon as Beck awoke.

Julian hungrily took a bite out of his burger and spoke, his mouth full, "You need to eat."

I had been staring down at my plate of uneaten chicken fingers, "I can't."

"Whatever went down in that house Ava, it's over now. You deserve some food."

"Over? Did you not hear Beck in the car? He's got people looking for us! Sitting here is already too risky." I spat, annoyed with Julian's optimism.

He stayed quiet, avoiding eye contact with me. Instead, staring at the news on the TV. The door jingled, revealing the man who had offered us help. I quickly stood up, hoping Beck was okay. 

"His leg's all patched up but he hasn't woken up." 

"Can you take me to him?" I asked. The man nodded, letting me follow him. Julian was hot on my tail until I turned around, "You need to stay in case they get here before."

He sat back down, not putting up a fight. I followed the man to the motel room on the bottom floor. He opened room three and there Beck was. The room looked like a legitimate hospital room, despite the accessories the motel had. But he had an IV hooked up to Beck, blood transferring to his body. 

"How did you...?"

"I got my license taken away a couple years ago due to ...personal reasons... so I became a doctor for the people." 

As long as my friend was fine, I didn't question it. Sure it was illegal but it wasn't out of the normal for me anymore. "We've got to head out in an hour, will he be okay?"

"I'd normally prefer to keep him an extra day or two..." He saw the worried look on my face and quickly changed his mind, "but he'll be fine in an hour. Just as long as he takes the painkillers every three hours."

I nodded my head in understandment, "Thank you..."

"Doctor Felix." He answered.

"Thank you Doctor Felix, for all of this. You don't understand how much we needed some good help."