Chapter 37: Herbal Remedy

I woke up  next to Chase, who was still sleeping soundly

I woke up  next to Chase, who was still sleeping soundly. I carefully got out of bed, making sure not to wake him up. He stirred, but quickly went back to snoring softly. The house was dark, the only sound were my footsteps on the creaky wood floors. The stove time read 4:32a.m. Great, another morning awake early. If I wasn't going to sleep, I might as well get some tea ready and maybe figure out our next move.

I watched as the tea kettle got hotter and took it off just before it could whistle. Popping in an herbal tea blend I found in the cabinet, I slid open the glass slide door and stepped outside. The cold morning wind blew on my legs sending goosebumps up my body. No matter how chill the morning was with the birds beginning to sing and smell of fresh wet grass, we were still so unsafe. 

I couldn't help but think about Cartia and how she disappeared. No matter how she had treated me, she was a victim. Her father pressured her into this life. She stayed where she was comfortable. Poor girl. Then my thoughts were clouded with Chase and how confused I was about him. He had hurt me for the second time, and here I was crawling right back to him. I felt guilty for sleeping with him, for pretending like we were okay, for all of it. 

The sun was rising and the sliding door opened, revealing Arabella. She wore clothes that were too big for her, assuming they were Julian's. "Hey," she said, taking a seat next to me.

"Hi."

"This has been crazy, huh?" She said, taking my tea mug from my hand, helping herself to a long sip. "I mean, this is a nightmare." 

"I slept with Chase last night." I said, quickly cutting her off. 

"Good morning to you too." She said widening her eyes, "Well? How do you feel?"

"I.. I guess I don't know. I know I love him, but I can't seem to move past what he did to me."

She nodded, "Want to hear my honest opinion?"

"Of course."

She sighed and put down the tea cup on the glass table. " I think you need a fresh start. We all do. When this is all over- and I say when because we are getting out of this, you should get away and be great and find yourself. I feel like all you've identified so far is as 'Chase's girlfriend.' The only time you got to be you, was when you started modeling."

Her honest opinion stung me. But only because she had a point. This whole time, I had been worried about Chase and I. What he was doing, his mess he had gotten in, who he was with. I hadn't even took the time to care for myself. Yet here I was, right back to the start. Trying to forget like nothing happened, just like I always do.

"I unenrolled from school yesterday."

"Huh? Why didn't you tell me?!" I gasped. 

She pursed her lips at me, "Girl, you act like we aren't on the run from some crazy mad man."

"Right.." I said, feeling silly.

"I'm moving to New York, and I want you to come with me." 

I loved how optimistic Arabella was. Planning her future like it would be so easy to live. "No one would know us," She continued, "And I already spoke with Julian, we're so young and if he really wants to be with me, we'll find each other again." 

I  pondered upon the thought, it did sound like I needed a fresh start. Being far from this drama was what I needed. "I'll consider it.. I need something different."

"Good." 

Our short conversation was abruptly interrupted when we heard a glass break inside. We both ran inside, Arabella hiding behind me. We found Beck holding the front door open, the remnants of a plate broken. He looked alarmed, as he limped away. I moved forward seeing a shadow at the door. A flash of pink sweatpants and a baggy old t-shirt clouded my eyes. Seeing as we weren't the only people who heard the glass break, the rest of the boys ran downstairs. 

"I'm not here to cause any harm! I swear." The shadow said, her voice weak. 

Beck wobbled to the door and slammed it shut. Locking it behind him. "Really?" She said, annoyed.

"Cartia's here, we need to get out of here. I don't know how she found us but I'm sure the other aren't far behind." Beck said, stumbling to put his shoes on. 

Julian stepped up, "Hold on a minute, how do we know she's not telling the truth."

Mateo slapped him upside the head, "Don't start that high and mighty shit now. FYI, we almost got shot to death by a pair of fat gangsters."

"If she was trying to lure us in, we would've already been shot up." Julian reasoned, caressing his head. 

He had a point. If we were going to die I would rather not prolong it. I opened the door, Cartia impatiently standing outside. "Thanks, can I come in now?"

Arabella took the liberty of patting her down, and Julian said he would check the perimeter quickly. "How the hell did you find us?" Beck expressed.

"Dad found your location yesterday." 

My heart stopped. 

"But he's been taken care of. He's in custody now."

"What? How.. I..."

Cartia eyes watered, "I turned him in for attempted murder, then Mom came forward against.. um domestic violence accusations. He's in custody. I came to convince you all to testify against him, so he can rot in prison."

"You turned him in? How can we trust you." Mateo accused.

"You can't but maybe you can trust him." She said looking out the door to reveal my father in a sling.  He wore a weak smile and looked as if he hadn't been sleeping for days, something we all could relate to. 

My body ran to him, crushing him into a hug. Even though we didn't have the best relationship, he had showed me he truly cared for me. The drama behind him and my mother wasn't important to me, the fact that he was alive is what mattered. "I'm glad you're okay." He said.

"Me too."

Cartia sighed, "Can we get to the real reason we came here?" 

We all looked at her, feeling as if this was far from over.