Chapter 19: Surprise after Surprise

I woke up in Mateo's guest bedroom with Arabella's leg draped over my body

I woke up in Mateo's guest bedroom with Arabella's leg draped over my body. Julian and I had left the venue soon after the conversation with Chase. My heart was heavy, but no more tears managed to escape. I wasn't going to let this entire situation drown me anymore, not like last time. It still sucked knowing he had developed feelings for Cartia, and I was blind to it. At the end of the day, I just wanted what was best for him. I always would and always had.

He was my first love, still is frankly. Nothing would change that ever. After explaining the entire situation to Mateo and Arabella, they were confused as to why I hadn't poured a drink over his head and stomped away. At first I wanted to, but there was no way my heart would let me hate him. I was glad we ended on good terms, and we would both eventually be happy. Even if it meant watching him be happy with Cartia. I'm sure that part would suck.

I carefully got out of bed without waking Arabella and made my way downstairs towards the kitchen. I looked through the pantry and saw the brownies I had stupidly baked last night, suddenly feeling a bit nauseous. I mean, I couldn't quite possibly be okay with everything that had happened last night. I'd be an idiot if I over looked the lies and betrayal, but I'd be neutral.

"I made you eggs." Mateo said behind me causing me to jump. 

I turned to look at the table and saw poached eggs on the table. I took a seat and took a bite out of the delicious breakfast, "Thanks."

He took a sip out of his protein shake, "You don't seem that upset today."

I shrugged my shoulders, "I'm so over crying honestly."

"I'm glad, especially now because we can discuss the best party being thrown." Mateo said tossing an invitation at me.

Frankly, I wasn't shocked that he was already thinking of a party. Besides modeling, it's what he did best. I glanced at the invitation and noticed it was a costume party. I had completely forgotten Halloween was basically around the corner, which totally sucked considering I had just gotten broken up with. Guess the doctor and nurse outfit was out of the window for Chase and I. 

"Who's even throwing this?" I asked tossing it back onto the table.

"Beckham Addeo, I guess he throws the best ragers."

Jesus Christ. That Addeo family was everywhere on campus. I felt like I was about to have a stroke frankly. "I bet he does." I bitterly said taking a bite out of my eggs.

"Yeah, well I got our costumes figured out anyway." Mateo said.

I stared at him, "One, who said I was going. Two, how do you already have a costume in mind."

"Baby, you underestimate me." Mateo teased taking my fork and shoving my eggs in his mouth. I gave him a dirty look confused, but decided to let him instead.

"What's the costume?"

"Finally you ask, jeez. I'm going to be a sexy Hugh Hefner, and you and Bella are going to be my bunnies." He stated proudly.

"Yeah, no thanks. I'd rather go as roach."

"Ava! You are no fun!" Mateo pouted, "I already ordered the costumes, we have to wear them."

I shrugged my shoulders, "We'll see. Will you tell Arabella I went to the dorms to finish up some homework?"

He nodded his head, "Yeah, do you need a ride?"

I shook my head, and decided I would call an Uber instead and save him the trip. After getting the Uber and successfully making my way home, my mind raced back to every single even that had happened once again. As I got to my hallway, a tall older man stood with his back turned to me. He had grey hair and was dressed in baggy denim jeans and a crew neck. As I neared I saw he was waiting directly in front of my door.

"Can I help you?" I asked confused.

As the man turned around, his features began to get clearer for me. This wasn't just any man this was the guy who had abandoned me years ago. Valentin was standing in front of me. "Dad..?"

"Honey, hi." He said to me.

Shock was evident on my face, what the hell was going on? My mouth gaped open, suddenly losing my voice. Everything I had worked up the guts to say to him over the years, were blank. I was clueless as to what to do, and what to say. 

"I know you're probably confused as to why I'm here right now, but I want to reconnect." 

Fury took over my body, "You had years to do that, why now?"

"Better late than never, Avalon I know I messed up and I couldn't expect you to forgive me but I'd like to at least try now."

I rolled my eyes, "I- I don't know."

Valentin grabbed his very expensive looking wallet out and handed me a card with his name and number on it, "Call me when you're ready. I'd like to be here for you, please don't hesitate to call me."

I grabbed the card and stared down at it, watching my father walk away. I stepped into the dorm room, staring blankly once again. Why now? He had so much time to reconnect with me before, what did he want now? I shoved the card in my drawer and dialed my mother. 

"Hey honey! Long time no talk, how's school going?" My mom excitedly asked.

"Dad just stopped by." 

Silence was heard on the other end, "Beg your pardon?"

"Dad came to my dorm, and handed me a card to reconnect with him." I repeated.

"Well, throw it away. He was nothing but awful to us and I don't want you anywhere near him Ava. I mean it."

"What, why? Mom. Maybe he wants to explain everything, this could be my chance."

" I said no. That's final, I know what's best for you.. and that man.. he doesn't know you."

I breathed out in frustration, "Fine, I won't call him. I promise."

"Good, now tell me how Chase is doing."

My heart sunk. This part was going to suck. Having to tell everyone that we were no longer together would break my heart over and over again. "We actually broke up last night."

"Oh no! Why?" My mom asked worried.

"Reasons, let's not talk about it. Please." I pleaded with her.

Thankfully she had dropped the subject and we spoke about a new recipe she was trying out. After a while, we had said our goodbyes and I was left alone in my room. Ignoring my studying I decided to glance at the card once more. How did my life continue to suck? Surprises after surprises. I decided to listen to my mother and just not contact him, she always knew best.

I hoped everything would get better, it needed to be. The only thing I was left to look forward to was the shoot Arabella had set up for me, maybe that could get my mind off of things. I actually was excited and hoped this modeling thing would be for me. Now, all I was left to do was quit the dance team. 

As much as I loved the girls on the team, I hated dancing. The only reason I had even joined was to see Chase more, and well, look how that backfired. Goodbye old Ava. 

***