Chapter 23: Wishing on a Shooting Star

What had my life turned into? I woke up in Beck's bed, trying to piece together my previous night

What had my life turned into? I woke up in Beck's bed, trying to piece together my previous night. The faint sound of the shower running, told me I wasn't completely alone. As I snuggled deeper into the dark covers, my eyes focused on the world outside of this penthouse. I wondered if the people walking along the busy streets of LA had their lives figured out, or were just like me. Completely lost and finding a new purpose. 

I kept replaying the moment Chase and I had a genuine conversation together, even if I was out of it the entire time. I envisioned how good it felt to be with Chase again. The way he caressed me and seemed to still care about me. I could feel the smile on my face wipe away as I remembered how Cartia came into the picture that night. How she seemed to possess over him, but I remembered seeing Chase's face. He wasn't the same. It was almost as if he hated being close to her. Then again, I didn't know much on their situation. I also didn't want to think about them together.

The sound of the shower was gone, leading out Beck in a white towel that hung dangerously low on his body. The steam from the shower followed him out, making him seem so powerful yet mysterious. Beck looked at me and smiled brightly. "Ah, the sleeping beauty has finally awoken." 

I rolled my eyes at his cheesy reference, "Good morning to you too."

"Actually, it's almost 5. So it'd be evening, no?" 

My eyes widened and I quickly patted the bed, searching for my phone. Beck seemed amused as he reached behind him and grabbed my phone from the counter. He tossed it over to me, to which I gratefully smiled back. As I looked through my notifications, I saw tons of people tagging me in pictures and videos. Some I remember taking, others catching me completely off guard. I had a dozen texts and a couple missed calls from Arabella. Most of her texts were her asking me what time I'd return, then getting a bit more urgent as she explained she was bored to death. I was a bit surprised to see no messages from Mateo, but maybe he was also curing from his hangover. I couldn't help but notice the disappointment that settled, when I saw I had zero texts from Chase. Something I should've expected, but it still stung.

"Don't worry about Arabella, I already told her you'd be staying here bit late." Beck said entering the room again, dressed in black running shorts and a simple black tee. 

"Thanks, I should probably get out of your way now." I said standing up searching for my shoes. 

Beck shook his head, "You're fine Avalon, you're more than welcome to stay here."

My cheeks tingled at hearing my full name come from his mouth, but I remembered I had previously asked him to call me that at the football dinner. I wondered if he called me that yesterday at the party.  "I really appreciate it Beck, but I've overstayed my welcome anyway."

Beck chuckled, "Will you shut up? I ordered us dinner, and I think it'd rude to leave me waiting." 

He walked over to his closet and grabbed a pair of joggers and a t shirt and threw them at the bed, "I'm assuming you don't want to wear that bunny costume anymore, meet me downstairs."