Chapter 24: The Old Chase

"Fuck that little conniving-"

"Julian." 

Julian rolled his eyes as I cut him off before he let out some nasty words. We were finally in our dorm, and after my meltdown inside Julian's car I was grateful. My emotions had skyrocketed and I ended up telling him about the deal Cartia had tricked me into. To say he was angry was an understatement. Julian was pacing the room, ready to draw his fist at anyone who came in that door. 

"You have to tell Ava. She can help us, I know it." Julian said reaching for his phone. 

Before he could I snatched it away and gripped onto it tightly. "Absolutely not. Didn't you hear what I said earlier? Cartia could ruin everything for her."

Julian shook his head, "Fine. How are we going to get you out of this?" 

I sighed, "There is no way out. I have to sit back and pretend to be happy with someone I hate, and I get to watch Ava fall out of love with me."

Julian stayed silent. I bit my cheek, attempting to calm me down. My mind kept replaying Ava and Beck together over and over again. As much as I hated to admit it, I was sure he could do more for her than I could. I wanted to be the guy she had fell in love with last year, but even I knew I had changed way too much. I wasn't the same, and I knew I wouldn't ever be. I was only a couple months into college, and I had already managed to screw up everything I had going for me.

Good job, Chase.

"We'll figure it out together. Go to bed, we got afternoon practice tomorrow." Julian said patting my back before getting into his bed.

I was glad Julian was still here. After all of my lies and stupid choices, I was shocked to see him by my side. I knew he had a soft spot for Ava, I wasn't sure how he didn't just end our friendship once and for all. Man, was I thankful for him. 

As the hours went by, I couldn't sleep knowing she was out with some other guy. I hoped she didn't think I had just moved on, maybe I could change her mind. I decided to take Julian's advice and at least try. Was it selfish? Yes, but I couldn't help it. I grabbed my phone from the nightstand and composed a message. 

2:57 a.m. Me: Ava, maybe you moved onto Beck but I know you deserve the truth about everything that has happened with Cartia. I'm in hell without you, and I know what I'm doing could cost me everything. Possibly even you. If you're still in love with me, meet me at midnight at the old barn where it all started.

I waited a while, but I got no response. Hopefully, she was asleep and she would text me back in the morning. Somehow, I managed to put my phone down and catch some sleep. That night, I dreamt of how life would be if I hadn't taken the offer at UCLA. I'd be peacefully sleeping knowing that Ava would never leave my side, and I would be playing football only. None of this extra stuff would be happening. Sadly, even asleep I knew it was impossible.