Chapter 15: Guilty Conscience

As I parked in front of Cartia's sorority, I could feel my anxiety build up

As I parked in front of Cartia's sorority, I could feel my anxiety build up. She had texted me to come talk to her for a bit, and from what I could hear she was clearly distraught.

The rain began to pour down, and the pounding on the roof of my car was drowning out the beat of my chest. I looked at the time and saw it was nearly two in the morning.

"Hey, sorry for calling you so late." Cartia breathed out, climbing into my car.

"It's fine, what's going on?" I asked her. Her makeup was running down her face, and her cheeks were puffy. It seemed as if she was crying beforehand.

She took a deep breath, but began crying out once more. "I-I'm so sorry.. It's my f-father."

I comforted her by pulling her into a hug, "What'd he say C?"

She bitterly laughed, "He's angry because you and I aren't showing up together tomorrow evening. He's threatening everything."

I widened my eyes confused at the sudden remark. Why was I of such important to be with Cartia? I was confused as to why his father needed me there with her, and overall, what would I do?

"Why does it have to be me?" I questioned.

"Chase, you're the best on the team. He doesn't want me showing up alone or with anyone else. Look, I know you promised Ava to take her but I need you."

I shook my head, not believing what was going on. As much as everyone told me this was going to happen, I couldn't believe that I would have to choose between my girlfriend and one of my best friends.

"Chase, my dad will stop paying for my college. I'll lose everything."

"Ava. She, I don't know Cartia. I love her."

Cartia's emotions changed wickedly fast, instead she began to get annoyed. "Really? I thought we were closer than that. You're just a friend helping me out, like I'm helping you with your career. The least you could do is do this one thing for me."

Fuck. She was right. She had gotten me tickets to an NFL game, was having meetings with her dad about me, and we had planned more things.

"She was with Mateo last night anyway." Cartia said.

"What.? How do you even know that?"

Her eyes widened, "Uh, Sarah saw them yesterday. I guess they were hugging.."

Hugging? It could be worse, right? "Let me see."

Cartia smiled uneasily, "I, uh. I didn't get a picture."

I rolled my eyes, "You don't have to lie, okay? I know she wouldn't do that. If you're so worried about the dinner, consider it done. Okay?"

Relief took over her features, "Do you mean that..?"

I nodded my head, "Yes, but don't ever lie on my girls name again."

She nodded her head and reached across the car for my hand. Her cold hands were laced in mine, but it felt so odd to me. I quickly unclasped them and shot her a small smile in to which she looked down upon. "Cartia, I'm only doing this on one condition."

"Yes, anything." 

"Ava knows nothing about this. Okay? She's going to think I'm sick, and that's it. I know how excited she was for this, and well. I think I may have disappointed her enough." I sadly smiled at her knowing how shitty this was. But, I was helping a friend in need and I know Ava would do the same in my situation.

"I promise." Cartia looked away from me and faced the window, "Does it not bother you when Ava flirts with the other guys?"

I scrunched my eyebrows together, "She doesn't. She gets along with everyone."

"Yeah, but what about Mateo? They're awfully close huh?"

I bitterly laughed, "Yeah, they are I guess."

"Then she'd understand, if she was ever to find out, ya know? I mean it's the same situation with Mateo, right?"

"I guess so.." I agreed.

She shrugged her shoulders at me, "I'm sure your girlfriend couldn't live without you anyway. She's very attached to you, huh? I think if that was me, I'd let you live your life the way you want."

"She does. Sometimes she can get a bit insecure, but I get like that too." I added. 

"I don't know... I've noticed she is like very territorial, as your new best friend who only wants the best for you, I think it's too much."

Her words kept hitting me like a ton of bricks, and a part of me wanted to believe them. "It's getting late, I think I should go."

"Oh! Uh, yeah. I'll swing by your dorm to drop off the matching tie before we leave." Cartia said exiting my car. She grabbed the top of the door and swung her body towards mine, flashing me one of her million dollar smiles, "Thanks for all of this, seriously."

I nodded my head and zoomed off towards my dorm. A million thoughts running through my head, and a guilty conscience. I pulled out my phone and began texting Ava, trying to come up with a good enough excuse.

4:09 a.m. Me: Hey, I think I'm coming down with something.. seems contagious, so I'm not going to the dinner tomorrow night. I know you were excited to get in that dress baby, I'm sorry. 

Almost immediately, I got a text back which surprised me. She was usually always asleep.

4:10 a.m. Avacakes<3: Aw babe! Feel better, want me to come over? I'll make you those brownies you like so much.

I felt terrible lying to her like this, however a small part of me didn't want to admit me taking Cartia might be one of the last straws. Saying it would make it more realistic so, I ignored it.

4:12 a.m. Me: I'd love that, but I don't want to get you sick. Get some sleep, and maybe I can take you out in your dress somewhere fancy, that way you get a use of it.

4:12 a.m. Avacakes<3: Hah, sounds perfect as long as there's fancy crackers! Love you.

4:13 a.m. Me: Love you.

***