𝖢𝖧𝖠𝖯𝖳𝖤𝖱 𝖥𝖮𝖴𝖱

𝟰 | 𝗦𝗘𝗖𝗥𝗘𝗧𝗦

'𝙏𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚'𝙨 𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙞𝙣 𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙚𝙮𝙚𝙨, 𝙝𝙚'𝙨 𝙠𝙚𝙚𝙥𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙨𝙚𝙘𝙧𝙚𝙩𝙨'

•·················•·················•

AS THEY STEPPED OUT OF THE CAR, Keziah took in the sights before her. She had never been to Chicago before. She followed Nik and Stefan into the bar. Nik was gripping her hand, pulling her along. Ever since the scuffle with the werewolves, Nik felt extremely protective over Keziah. The bar was empty, considering it wasn't going to be open until much later.

"Looks familiar, doesn't it?" Nik asked Stefan.

"I can't believe this place is still here." Stefan replied looking around in wonder.

"You got to be kidding me." A new voice spoke out to the left of them.

"So, a hybrid walks into a bar, says to the bartender..." Nik was immediately stopped from telling his joke by the woman.

"Stop. You may be invincible, but that doesn't make you funny." She looked at Stefan as if she recognised him. "I remember you."

"Yeah, you're Gloria. Shouldn't you be..."

"Old and dead? Now if I die, who's going to run this place, huh?"

"Gloria's a very powerful witch." Keziah's hand tightened in Nik's grip. She hadn't been around witches in a long time. Except for Bonnie Bennett, but she hadn't figured out her secret, this witch definitely would, in seconds.

"I can slow the aging down some. Herbs and spells. But don't worry, it'll catch up to me one day."

"Stefan, why don't you go and fix us up a little something from behind the bar?"

"Yeah, sure thing." Stefan replied, heading towards the back of the bar. Keziah stared longingly, actually wanting to go with Stefan and not be so close to the witch.

"Now, get rid of the girl and we can talk." Gloria said narrowing her eyes at Keziah.

Here we go. She sucked in a breath. She has definitely been found out. This is not good.

"She stays with me." Nik defended.

"Her kind isn't welcome here." There was so much spite and venom in the witch's tone, that Keziah couldn't even stop the few tears that fell.

"Gloria..." Nik growled, protecting Keziah, unconsciously she felt herself siphon some of his power. She immediately stopped it, just as it started.

Keziah ripped her hand out of his and nervously fiddled with her fingers. "It's alright Nik, I'll wait in the car. You need answers." She gave him a reassuring glance and headed back out of the bar.

As soon as she was outside, she couldn't stop the onslaught of tears. Choking back her sobs as she took a seat in the car. She ran her hand through her hair multiple times in anger. "So, fucking stupid." She mumbled through her tears.

•·················•·················•

Nik had managed to drag Keziah into a corner in the warehouse without prying eyes. She hadn't spoken a single word since the witch. She didn't want to. She didn't want Nik to ever find out what she truly was. He'd end up leaving, just like everyone else does.

"Rosie, love. What was that earlier?" He softly questioned, titling her chin to look at him.

"I don't wanna talk about it." She mumbled. She was trying her best to avoid looking at him.

"Come on, I can't help you if you don't tell me." He pushed. She could tell he wanted to help. Keziah didn't want his help. "Don't make me compel you."

Her eyes darted towards his, anger seeping through. "Don't you..."

"Tell me what's wrong."

"How dare you!" Punch. "You're my best friend!" Punch. "You promised you wouldn't!" Before she could punch him again, she was shoved up against a wall.

"Since when have you been on vervain?" Nik was furious, he didn't expect his best friend to go behind his back.

Keziah bit her lip. There was no way around this. He was going to find out. She closed her eyes and breathed in. She could do this. Nik would hate her forever and she'd be alone once again. "Never. I'm a w...witch" She whispered so delicately, that Nik almost didn't even hear with his heightened hearing.

"What's so wrong with that, Rosie?"

"Everything! Everything is wrong with it. Everyone always leaves me!" She shouted through her tears. Her chest tightened; everything was tumbling down. Closing in.

"Hey, hey, hey. Breathe. Rosie breathe." His hands found their way to her head and neck. "Copy me. Copy my breathing." Her gaze locked onto his, pain evident. "I'm not going anywhere. You can tell me anything."

Somehow, Nik had managed to steady her breathing, tears slowing down. She never realised, how much she relied on him, he had somehow wormed his way into being her family.

"Everyone calls me an abomination." Deep breathes. I got this. "One of natures freaks. I don't have any magic of my own." Keziah gripped onto his hand that was attached to her neck and siphoned a small amount before releasing. "I take it." She held her hand out between them and mumbled a few words, "Post tenebras spero lucem." A ball of light appeared in her hand, lighting the gap between them. "I siphon magic."

"Oh, Rosie." Keziah refused to look into his eyes, ready for the disappointment to hit. "So, every time you've been compelled. You faked it?" She weakly nodded her head. "You just keep getting better and better."

Her head snapped up in confusion at noticing the smirk on his face. "What?"

"Now that is clever, pretending to be compelled, fooling everyone around you. Who would have expected innocent little Keziah to be a witch, a powerful magic stealing witch?"

"I'm not powerful! I barely know any spells."

"Not yet. But you can steal magic. You can take it from people and use it against them."

"No, no, no, no. You don't understand. I got us kicked out from our coven for being a siphon. My parents disowned me."

Nik couldn't stop grinning. "They made you out to be an abomination because you're stronger than them. You are a threat to them. You're one of a kind, own it. I'll find you some grimoires, you can practise. Be the witch you were meant to be, Rosie."

"So, you're not leaving me?"

"I could never."

She nodded her head, repeatedly thinking it all through. He wasn't leaving her. She finally had someone. Someone who believed in her. He wanted her to grow as a witch. She didn't even shake, when a handsome figure appeared behind Nik and smiled. She was so consumed with the fact that she wasn't alone, running on a high, that the figure didn't even spook her. It was a sign.