| 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗: 𝐀 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄 |

| 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗 |
𝐀 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄

"𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐒𝐀𝐈𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔'𝐃 𝐓𝐀𝐊𝐄 𝐌𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐄 I pictures you had a carriage, not that we would be sharing your horse

"𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐒𝐀𝐈𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔'𝐃 𝐓𝐀𝐊𝐄 𝐌𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐄 I pictures you had a carriage, not that we would be sharing your horse." Adelaine pointed, causing Gilbert to laugh slightly, his vibrating chest coming in contact with her back.

At first, Adelaine wasn't so sure of ridding the horse with him, the idea of walking home being a better one in her mind. Yet she was too exhausted to even think about that. Her legs were weak, her hand was hurting and she was still finding difficult breathing because of all of the smoke she had inhaled, so she took what she got. The Cuthberts had already left with Ruby, who was staying at her house until the reparations were finished, and her only way back home was, in fact, Gilbert Blythe and his horse.

For the first half of the way, Gilbert managed to keep some distance between the two, Adelaine was more awake and she had a straight posture. Now it was different. He didn't know how or when in happened but her chest was now touching slightly her back everytime he breathed, and he couldn't help but think about the feeling that appeared at the pit of his stomach and how he could get used to this.

"It was this or walking." he replied, a small smile creeping to his face.

"Well, I definitely didn't have the strength for the latest." she said, her shoulders slumping softly. "I could fall asleep right here and right now."

"I could be your pillow." Gilbert rambled, before he had time to stop himself. Adelaine didn't say anything, a blush appearing on her cheeks at the sudden response of the guy sitting behind her. She was startled and out of words. Gilbert cleared his throat, thinking of a way to quickly change the subject while she, once again, straightened her back. "So, what does the rest of the day have to offer to you?"

"Umh... Well..." Adelaine shaked her head to try and clear her thoughts about the words the hazel eyed had said a few seconds ago. "I'll clean myself first I guess, since I'm covered in ashes and smell like burned wood. Cook some supper and sleeping sounds really welcoming to. Samantha won't be home until tomorrow, if my assumptions are correct, so I'll be all by myself." she explained, sadness growing within him at the thought of the girl alone on such a big house after the events of the day.

"I'm sorry you have to be alone right now." he said, slowly stopping the horse as Adelaine's residence grew bigger in the distance.

"I told you to stop apologizing for things that are not your fault." she remembered him of the first time Gilbert walked her home after school. He shaked his head, the horse coming to a halt in front of the white entrance.

Gilbert got off the horse with grace, his boots coming in touch with the green grass that covered the ground, causing it to creak underneath him. He turned around to watch the girl who was still over the horse, her eyes fixated on the prominent building in front of her.