36. The First Liveshows

"Skyler, you're up next." The man from earlier said and I nodded. "Good luck!" Charlotte said and I thanked her. "You too." I said and walked after the man. We walked a while and we were standing behind the stage now. I had to climb up some steps because I was going to walk down a large staircase during the song. I adjusted the strap of my guitar and the microphone that was around my head. Just because I had to walk down the stairs and play the guitar at the same time... So this would be the only option. I heard the presenter talking, praising Tessa. "Okay, up next, is Skyler Mitchell, performing Fireproof by One Direction!" I heard him say and the lights went out. It was pitch black. The audience roared while I climbed up the stairs from the back. The audience came into view. I smiled when I saw all the little lights they were holding up. It looked amazing. A spotlight shone on the curtain in front of me, so you could only see my silhouette. But I could see the audience perfectly. The track began and I began playing.

I think I'm gonna lose my mind,
Something deep inside me, I can't give up,
I think I'm gonna lose my mind,
I roll and I roll 'til I'm out of luck, yeah,

I'm feeling something deep inside,
It's hotter than a jet stream burning up,

I got a feeling deep inside,

It's taking, it's taking all I got,

As I sung I just walked and jumped around on the stage. I probably looked ridiculous, but I couldn't help myself. And luckily I made my way down the stairs in one piece.

'Cause nobody knows you, baby, the way I do,
And nobody loves you, baby, the way I do,
It's been so long, it's been so long, maybe we're fireproof,

'Cause nobody saves me, baby, the way you do.
The way you do.

There was another short guitar solo and I looked over at Luke. He was smiling brightly while biting his lip. Damn Luke. Can u not?

I think I'm gonna win this time,
I'm riding on the wind and I won't give up,
I think I'm gonna win this time,
I roll and I roll, 'til I change my luck,

'Cause nobody knows you, baby, the way I do,
And nobody loves you, baby, the way I do,

It's been so long, it's been so long, baby we're fireproof,

'Cause nobody saves me, baby, the way you do.

There was a longer guitar solo now and I fully concentrated on it, because it went wrong during rehearsals a couple times. I saw Hayley giving me a 'thumbs up' while also smiling brightly. I did the guitar solo and it went great. I felt people standing behind me and smiled at them. Hayley thought it would be a good idea to let some background singers sing at the end of the song.

'Cause nobody knows you, baby, the way I do,
And nobody loves you, baby, the way I do,

'Cause nobody knows you, baby, the way I do,
And nobody loves you, baby, the way I do,
It's been so long, it's been so long, maybe we're fireproof,

'Cause nobody saves me, baby, the way you do.

I let the sound of my guitar die out and the audience was amazing. They were all clapping, yelling and whatnot. "BAE!" I heard someone yell over the others and turned to my left, to see Anna standing there with 'BAE' written on a large paper. I chuckled and shook my head. I waved at my mom and she was smiling brightly. All the lights turned around and shone on me. The presenter was walking in my direction while saying: "Turning One Direction to rock! Only you Skyler." I smiled at him (it was fake one. I don't like him). The presenter turned to the judges. "Ed, what do you have to say?" He was silent for a couple of seconds. "I just... I know the One Direction boys personally and they're good friends of mine. And I know that if they will hear this, they'll love it. Just like I do." I smiled at him grateful and thanked him. Next was Katy. "This was all your idea? Turning the pop song into rock?" Katy asked and I nodded. "Yea. I really like the song, but it wasn't really my style so I had to change it." I said. "That's really impressing. I hope you'll do that with more songs in this show. I loved it." If there are going to be more performances... "Thank you." I said genuine. They all loved it. I was really glad to hear that, since I changed most of the song myself. "Last but not least... Hayley!" The presenter said. No Luke? I looked at him and he scrunched up his nose. I chuckled and turned my attention to Hayley. "It's funny to see, that when you were at the auditions you could see that you really loved performing. You just walked around stage like you belonged there. I'm happy that that didn't change. When artist look like they belong on the stage while they're performing you know that they can get big. And I really hope that that will happen to you." Hayley said and I smiled brightly. That wasn't really my goal, but... Auditioning for the Voice wasn't either. Meeting Luke wasn't either. Being Luke's girlfriend... Nope. Wasn't my goal. But all of that happened...