30. The Battle

I sat on an uncomfortable chair, in front of a mirror. Behind me stood a girl working on my hair. She introduced herself as Jacelyn, but I could call her Jay. Another girl, Lisa, was putting makeup on. It was crazy. Everyone was walking in and out of the dressing room I was sitting in, and yelling could be heard from outside the door. Everyone seemed in a hurry because the show is starting in half an hour. When the two girls were done with my hair and makeup I was pushed behind a curtain and clothes were laying next to me on a small chair. It was a grey Guns n' Roses top with fringes and red shorts. I really liked it. I quickly, but carefully so I won't mess up my hair, put the clothes on and opened the curtain when I was done. I didn't even have the chance to look into the mirror because someone handed me a pair of Vans and I had to put them on. When I was done someone came barging in. "Skyler? Follow me please." He said and handed me my guitar. Was it my turn already? I thought it was in about 15 minutes...? I followed the guy and adjusted the strap of my guitar. He led me to a room, closed the door behind me and left. He just left. Without saying anything. What the hell? I looked around the room and saw Luke, sitting on one of the couches. "Hey, I just... Erm... We need to talk." He said. I nodded sadly. "Yes, that would be a good-" I was cut off by someone yelling my name. "SKYLER! You are on in 10 minutes! Where the hell are you? And where is Luke? Dammit, those teenagers..." I tried to suppress a laugh. I didn't want to go, but I had to. "I have to go. We'll talk later?" I asked. He nodded. "Okay. Good luck." He said. "Wait, people can't know we're here together. They'll suspect things." Luke stopped me. "Erm... How about you walk out first, and I'll walk out a couple seconds later?" I asked. He seemed to think for a second before he nodded. "We'll talk later." He said before he turned the doorknob and walked out. "Ah! There you are! Do you know where Skyler is?" The man from earlier asked Luke. "Who?" Luke said. I knew he was just saying that so things would be easier, but still. That hurt. I waited until I heard them walk away and walked to Hayley's dressing room. The judges had their own. Just when I was about to knock the man came walking towards me. "There you are! Hayley and Diana are waiting for you. Follow me." He said while dragging me to another room. He knocked before he pushed me into the room and closed the door behind him. "Four minutes!" I heard someone yell from the other side of the door. Diana was sitting on the couch and I sat next to her, Hayley in front of us. I noticed Diana and I had matching outfits. Awesome. "Okay. Just remember, rehearsals went great. I only had a few comments about the performance, but for the rest, it was already amazing. So I think it'll be the same tonight. You're both just going to do your thing, and no one's going to stop you." I smiled brightly. I was thirsty. And that was not good. I looked at the table in front of me and there was a water bottle on it. "Can I have some water?" I asked Hayley while pointing at the water bottle. "Sure." She said and handed it to me. "Well, I have to go now, there will be someone here to get you in a couple of minutes. Good luck guys!" Hayley said while standing up and gave us both a hug. After that she walked away, probably already going to the stage already. I plopped down on the couch and stood up again when I noticed a large mirror at the other side of the dressing room. "Our outfits are awesome." I said while looking at it through the mirror. I sat down again and began mindlessly strumming my guitar. Diana played along for a couple seconds before she stopped. "So... Do we just wait here?" Diana asked. I shrugged. "I gue-" The door opened. "You two are up in five minutes! Follow me!" A guy cut me off. I took a deep breath and followed Diana and the guy out of the room. We were walking through the halls and corridors and there were people running, yelling at each other, filling in paperwork, this was so hectic. And then we heard a faint screaming. "That's probably the audience screaming for the judges." Diana said and I got goosebumps. I loved this feeling. Feeling slightly nervous, but excited and really happy at the same time. The sound got louder until we had to split up. We quickly hugged before Diana had to follow another guy, and I had to follow the same guy. He stopped at a door, which was already wide open. I took a deep breath and looked through the door. I could see the ring already. The man began counting down. "10... 9... 8..." I smiled brightly and he handed me a microphone. I held it tight. "3... 2... 1..." He gently pushed me forward, like I couldn't walk myself. I walked towards the ring, and while I walked I could see Diana walking from the other side. "Here, performing Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns n' Roses, are Diana Moore and Skyler Mitchell!" The voice of the presenter boomed through the speakers. Diana and I were now standing in the middle of the ring, next to each other. We had put our microphones in the stands and held our fingers on the right chords. I began playing the intro and began singing.