"So...is this....goodbye?" I say hesitantly. My carriage was coming tomorrow at morn and I knew I would not see her again....

Sadly, Cassandra was only a friend by association. She was the only person in the village who had the courage to talk to me when I first came to Cedonia. It was more of a dare, to say the least, but I cherished the times like these we spent together.

I would miss her....

"I guess it is? Maybe you will invite me to the palace one day?" she suggests through a smile.

"I suppose I will" I nodded, recognizing her words. We both moved closer to each other until we came into a warm embrace.

"Goodbye" I whisper, gently releasing her from my hold. She nodded once more before turning and running through the fields to return to her home.

——-

Hours later

My dearest Calla,

How I long for the days I can hold you in my arms so I can familiarize myself with your scent.

I will be counting down the days...no the minutes... NO! the seconds until we meet and our lips burst into a heated embrace.

Be best,

Leo

I pushed the crisp letter into my chest and sighed, leaning back into my chair in pure and utter bliss. How thoughtful he was to send me a letter before I met him. It had certainly put my thoughts at ease. I rolled the paper into a thin column and push it into my travel chest; it was the last one I had left to pack before the carriage came for me tomorrow morning.

"CALLLA!!" my mother yells for me from downstairs. I stand to go down the steps and into the kitchen, coming behind my mother and giving her a quick embrace.

"What did the letter say?" my mother asks, still focused on her chopping.

"Oh....nothing; just his excitement to see me" I lied, sitting down at the small table to sort through the tall pile of beans. "Where is Sarai and father?" I say, pulling the bowl towards me to start.

"They went to pick up a goat and a few other things at Sir George's farm. They'll be back soon" my mother announced, pushing the carrots she had chopped into a big pot. I nodded and continued sorting through the beans, smiling sheepishly as I imagine how handsome emperor Leonardo would be.

"I sometimes ponder what the emperor looks like" I say breaking our air of comfortable silence.

"Well, I hear he is very handsome" my mother admits through a smile, "but he is outspoken; one must not look him directly in the eyes and you must also respect him at all times." she lectures, rinsing her knife in the bucket of water near the sink.

"Yes mother" I nod, taking heed of her words. I continue sorting through the beans until I look to her and smile. "How is he mother?" I ask, resting a hand against my cheek.

"I just told you Calla. He is fine, powerful, noble and a great ruler to Genovia" she says, thinking of more attributes to describe him.

"But mother! How is he?" I asked, looking up to her as I picked the last piece of dirt from the beans. "Pretend you have seen him! Describe him to me so I can imagine" I begged her eagerly, closing my eyes to picture the image.

"Well, I picture he is... tall but short," she muttered shaking the pot with vigor to disperse the vegetables. "He is handsome. Angry but gentle." she continued on, sifting through my pile of beans with care.