twenty-seven

Amanda

I watched as Harry made his way into the van with Julia and Jordan, and I held onto Josie tight, as she cried onto my shoulder.

I had already called the police as soon as they walked out the door, but they didn't know that. I gave them the license plate of the car just in case they didn't get here in time.

I watched as they pulled off slowly, making their way back down the dirt road.

I wanted to run after them. Or get in my car and follow them, but Harry was right, I couldn't risk Josie getting hurt...

I walked to the car, and had just buckled Josie into her car seat when I heard it.

Tires screeching.

I looked up to see the van swerving back and forth of the road, eerily close to the edge of the hill.

What the fuck was happening?

Before I had a chance to process what was going on, the car swerved off of the road, tumbling down the hill.

I screamed.

It felt like everything was moving in slow motion, and all I could think about was Harry.

I ran as fast as I could down the hill, where I could see that the van had flipped over in the process.

No no no...

As I got closer, I looked around for Harry. Jordan was in the drivers seat, but she wasn't moving. Julia's unconscious body was laying awkward in between two seats in the back, blood trickling down her forehead, but Harry was nowwhere to be found.

"Harry!" I called out, and as I ran over to the passenger side of the car I could see him. He was laying a few feet away from the car, and he wasn't moving.

"Oh no..." I breathed, rushing over to him. His head was bleeding and I noticed that there was more blood coming from his leg. I looked down and could see bone sticking out from the bottom of his leg, and I started to cry.

"Harry." I "Harry, please stay with me." I felt for his pulse which was still there, but it was growing faint.

I couldn't do this again.

I heard sirens starting to get closer, but I felt absolutely helpless.

My tears started to cloud my vision as I held onto him, and before I knew it, I was being lifted off of him by paramedics who rushed Harry into the ambulance.

I watched as they pulled Julia and Jordan out of the car, the two of them still not moving.

Once I could see that Harry was taken care of, I rushed back up the hill to Josie, who was still buckled in her car seat.

"Mommy, what's wrong?" She asked, but I honestly couldn't give her an answer right now.

"Everything's going to be okay." I lied, trying to reassure her while reassuring myself at the same time. But I didn't know. I really couldn't say for sure if everything was going to be okay...

I got in the car and pulled away from the scene, ready to meet Harry at the hospital.

-