fourteen

Amanda

I hadn't moved in three days.

I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep; I couldn't do anything.

After I got the call the other night, I just remember screaming. I must've screamed loud enough for Josie to hear, because she ran down the hallway asking me what was wrong.

All I could think about was that the last conversation we had was an argument.

I was laying down in bed; I hadn't moved for days, and I couldn't think about doing anything else. I couldn't even cry right now... I just felt drained.

There was a knock on the bedroom door, and Harry walked in. I forgot that he was here, taking care of Josie.

"Hey..." he whispered. I couldn't see him because my back was facing his direction, but I also didn't want to.

How was I supposed to tell him that before Jack died, we were arguing about him?

It wasn't his fault, but it was easier to blame him than to blame myself. Because this was all my fault.

He died thinking that I didn't love him.

"You should eat something." Harry told me and I let out a breath I hadn't even realized I'd been holding for so long.

"I'm not hungry."

"It's been a few days, and you haven't eaten... I just think you should-"

"I'm not hungry, Harry." I choked, biting my lip to keep from crying again.

I heard him sigh and leave the room, the door shutting behind him.

-
Harry

"Is mommy sick again?" Josie asked, watching me as I closed back in the bedroom door.

I kneeled down to talk to her, looking into her big green eyes.

"Mommy's just...sad right now, princess." I told her and she cocked her head to the side.

"Would Mr. Wiggles make her feel better?" She whispered.

"Why don't you go try?" I told her, and she tip toed into the room where Amanda was.

I sighed and sat back.

No matter how much I didn't like Jack, I would've never wanted to this to happen.

I can't imagine what Amanda's going through, and all I wanted to do was console her. I knew that there was nothing I could say or do to make her feel better... I think she just needed time.

I cleaned up around their apartment and then made oatmeal and bacon for Amanda if she felt like eating later.

In the kitchen I turned to see a small framed photo on the counter. I'd never noticed it before but, it was a picture of Josie, Jack, and Amanda all smiling outdoors.

Josie was sitting in Amanda's lap, and Jack had his arm around them. The photo must've been taken a couple years ago, because Josie was still a baby, but they looked happy.

I swallowed and looked away from it; I felt so guilty seeing as how I've wanted Jack out of the picture for so long, and now he was gone for good.

I was watching the local news the night it happened. I watched as a reporter stood near the scene, a car crashed into a tree in the background.

A male, age 21 had been drinking and drove off the road.

I didn't think anything of it until I recognized Jack's car with the Temple University Dental sticker clear as day on the back.

I called Amanda immediately, not knowing if it was him one hundred percent, but I wanted to check. She didn't pick up after several tries, which wasn't like her, so that made me start to worry.

So I rushed over to her apartment and when I got there, I had my answer.

The door was unlocked and when I entered, Amanda was on the floor crying; Josie's tiny arms wrapped around her in an attempt to comfort her.

It was a different cry; one that was filled with hurt and pain, and I could feel it.

All I could do was hold her as she cried. I don't even think she noticed that I was there but, I couldn't do anything else. There was nothing I could do to help her and it killed me.

Eventually she had stopped crying, and stood up slowly. She walked into her room, closed the door, and she hadn't come out since.

I tried to check on her; to get her to eat, drink, anything. But each time I went in there, she was awake and just gave a blank stare.

After wrestling with my thoughts for a good twenty minutes, I stood up, deciding to check on her and Josie. I quietly opened the door to see that Amanda had her arm wrapped around Josie and Mr. Wiggles and they were both asleep.

I let out a sigh of relief that she was finally sleeping.

I closed back in the door, and settled onto the couch, before I fell asleep myself.

--

rip Jack🥺

y'all mfs are all going to HELL for wanting jack to be gone 😂
y'all are literal comedians in the comments I love it

-Mel