twenty

Harry

I couldn't concentrate the entire time I was at work.

I was just waiting for 5 pm, when I could go back home to Amanda.

I was worried about her... after she saw Jordan yesterday, she's been really shaken up, which she had every reason to be.

She was slowly starting to warm back up to me, and even though we still hadn't talked about our conversation from a couple months ago, I knew that I just needed to leave it at that.

I was finally packing up my things for the day, when I heard the door to the lobby open.

Sarah had already gone home, and I was the only one here. I made my way down the hall to the front, and there she was.

My ex-wife Jordan stood in front of me, looking at me carefully.

She was dressed differently than what I was used to, but all I could focus on was the fact that she was here.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I exclaimed, and she walked towards me, giving a small smile.

"I just wanted to tell you... I'm sorry."

"Bullshit." I spat, and she sighed.

"I mean it, Harry." She whispered. "I tried to tell Amanda yesterday, but she ran off."

"What do you expect, Jordan?" I yelled. "You tried to fucking kidnap her!"

"You have a beautiful daughter," she told me, smiling and damn did I want to strangle her. "What's her name?"

"That's none of your fucking business." I remarked, grabbing my stuff and waiting for her to leave; which she didn't. "When did you get out?"

"About two months ago. I'm staying with a friend." She explained. "But listen," she said, clearing her throat. "I just wanted you to see that I've changed. And that I forgive you."  I couldn't believe it.

"You forgive me?" I exasperated.

"For cheating on me, because that's why I did what I did-"

"Jordan, if you really believe that, then you haven't changed at all." I responded, grabbing my briefcase and walking towards the door. Before walking out I turned back to her.

"And if you come near them again, I'll kill you myself."

-

By the time I got home, Josie was already in bed, and Amanda was nowhere in sight.

I checked her room, the kitchen, and the living room.

"Amanda?" I called as I walked up the stairs.

I walked past the bathroom and saw that the light was on. The door was open, and when I got closer I could see that she was laying in the tub, taking a bath.

I let out a sigh of relief; I didn't know why I was thinking the worst.

"Hey." She said, noticing me and shifting in the water. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I was just... worried for a second." I told her and she nodded. "S-sorry, I'll uh just let you get back to it." I spoke nervously, starting to walk out.

"Wait, Harry!" She called out and I turned around. "Could you pass me my towel? It's over there." She said, pointing to the towel that was on the counter next to me.

"Yeah, sure."

I grabbed it and made my way over to the bathtub, trying not to look down at her bare body... but I couldn't help myself.

"Here you go." I muttered, handing it to her, my eyes drifting.

"Thanks." She whispered, draping it on the side of the tub.

I walked out and immediately let out a breath.

Fuck.

I was hard now and I couldn't do anything about it. Or at least I couldn't do what I wanted.

I sighed and took a seat on the couch, waiting for her to be done. A few minutes later, she emerged in sweatpants and a tank top, her wet hair sitting on her shoulders.

"Jordan came to see me today." I told her, and she stopped to look at me.

"W-what'd she say?"

"She said she's sorry, and that she's changed. Which I don't believe one bit," I scoffed, and I watched as she sat down beside me and swallowed.

"I had the dream again last night." She spoke, staring straight ahead. "I guess I'm just scared, and I'm trying not to be, it's just... do you think she'd try to hurt us again?"

I really didn't know the answer to that.

I wish that I could tell her that she wouldn't; that she really was better like she said. But I couldn't...

"I don't know," I whispered, and she sighed, putting her head down.

After a few seconds, she sat back up.

"I'm pregnant."

I was surprised at her words, and when I looked at her I could see her eyes starting water.

"And I wanted to wait to wait a few more years but, now that Jack's gone... I just can't bring myself to get rid of it because I feel like I'd be getting rid of a piece of him." She explained, and tears started to run down her face. "I know that probably sounds stupid."

"Its not." I whispered, resting my hand on top of hers.

We sat in silence for a few minutes, and then she looked up at me. She had this look in her eye, and for a second I thought she was going to kiss me; but she turned away from me as we heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Mommy?" Josie whispered at the bottom of the steps, rubbing her eyes.

"What's wrong, sweetie?" Amanda asked, pulling her into her lap.

"I can't sleep."

She squeezed in between the two of us, and pulled Amanda to her, so that she was wrapped in between us.

This little girl knew exactly what she was doing.

I wrapped my arm around the two of them, and soon they both fell asleep in my arms.

--

🥺

-Mel